Timemaster idler pulley upgrade?

mudpie

Threads
I have a Timemaster and the idler pulley is seized. When I look up parts, I generally check a comparable Turfmaster diagram just to see if there's an upgraded part. I see a notation on this parts diagram I'm looking at that says "See Attachments and Accessories for Optional Metal Idler Pulley Kit". I can't seem to find the kit though. Maybe NLA, or maybe a reference to some other pulley? I don't know. The pulley listed is the same part number as the Timemaster, but I'd like to upgrade to a metal pulley if possible.

Does anybody know if a metal pulley exists, and do you by chance have a part number? Any thoughts much appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a Timemaster and the idler pulley is seized. When I look up parts, I generally check a comparable Turfmaster diagram just to see if there's an upgraded part. I see a notation on this parts diagram I'm looking at that says "See Attachments and Accessories for Optional Metal Idler Pulley Kit". I can't seem to find the kit though. Maybe NLA, or maybe a reference to some other pulley? I don't know. The pulley listed is the same part number as the Timemaster, but I'd like to upgrade to a metal pulley if possible.

Does anybody know if a metal pulley exists, and do you by chance have a part number? Any thoughts much appreciated.

:welcome:
Help us to help you
Model number of your mower and part number you are talking about will make it easy to check what you are talking about.
The only "special" bit about any idler pulley is the bush in the centre that sets the height and makes it fit the mounting bolt / stud.
And these simply push in and out.
Most mower shops keep a reasonable selection and if you take your old one in they will find a suitable replacement.
Independent repair only shops will usually keep more stock and be more familiar with replacing brand name pulleys with equivalent ones at 1/2 the price
A Toro dealer is bound by contract to sell only Toro pulleys for your Toro.

DO not buy pulleys from discount junk merchants on the web as many will sell you an idler with a single row low speed bearing that will not do the distance.
The Idlers used on mowers have double row bearings to stop them wobbling .

When I took over this business I got 2 shadow boards full of idler pulleys and very quickly I worked out most of them were the same or so close it did not matter if the right bush is used.
IF you go this route just remember you need to support the inner race when you push the bushes in and out to avoid indenting the races. so be carefull when selecting the size socket to go over the bush & support the race.

mudpie

Threads
Model is 20199. When I look at the parts diagram, this is what I get...

diagram1.jpg

It's listed as item #26, which is part #1207082. The listing says this pulley also fits the Toro Turfmaster, model #22200, which is the commercial model. When I look at the parts diagram for that mower, this is what I get. You can see the notation for a metal pulley kit, but it's not in the listing anywhere.

diagram2.jpg

Before I order parts tomorrow, I'd like to see if I can find a part number for the metal pulley, if in fact it exists.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So it is a flat idler pulley you are looking for.
I put your part number into the catalogue and came up blank.
So it will be a case of matching one up from the dimensions in the catalogue.
I can but only repeat the previous advise take the pulley to an independent repair shop & get them to find the nearest substitute.
I do this daily because I can not bring myself to pay $65 ( $ 80 to customer ) for a pulley I can buy for $ 15 and 3 minutes to swap the bushes.
This is the Stens listing http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN=637179B36C57&PROMOID=&CATEGORY=&BRAND=&AXBRAND=&MODELTYPEID=&MODELBRAND=&SEARCH=flat%20idler%20pulley&S1=&V1=&S2=&V2=&S3=&V3=&S4=&V4=&S5=&V5=&S6=&V6=&S7=&V7=&S8=&V8=&S9=&V9=&MODELID=&SPEC=D44D05F2B018&SPECVALUE=Refer%20to%20the%20drawing%20by%20clicking%20on%20More%20Info&SELECTORDER=-P-

The important dimensions are
A overall diameter
B drum diameter
D drum width.
If you click the "more info" button then click on the drawing under the image the letters are shown.
Idlers just tension or guide the belt so =?- 1/4" diameter makes little difference.
All of the pulleys have push out bushes except the white painted ones where the inner race is a custom item but slowly those type are vanishing.
All the rest use a standadr double row ball bearing in the pulley and a custom bush which will be obvious if you have a good look at yours.

mudpie

Threads
I put your part number into the catalogue and came up blank.

Go to google, type in "toro 1207082" and it comes up from several sources in the $12-14 range here in the U.S. Getting the plastic pulley isn't an issue. The parts diagram indicates there is a metal one available though, and that's the one I'd like to get if I can. The problem is finding it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The problem is you have to do the work as described in the previous post .
If you are expecting some one to jump up with "it is a 321-098 for $ 22.95" you will be waiting a loooog time on the off chance that one of the 1.5% of the population that owns that particular mower who have upgraded to the steel pulley is in fact one of 0.0005 % of the population that are on this forum and happened to see your post.
PIA perhaps but the actual pulleys are fairly well standard.
I fit JD pulleys to Husqvarnas , Mc Cullochs, Craftsmans , Ropers, Poulans, Rallys and God only knows what else.
None of those are listed as taking that pulley because they all use a smaller mounting bolt than JD do WITH THE EXACT SAME PULLEY.
Then JD pulleys are 1/2 the price of the other brands.
IF you bothered to look at the link I sent you would see that a lot of the metal idlers come with several different bushes because it is cheaper for Stens to have fewer parts in their inventory and "give away" extra bushes than to carry extra slower moving stock.
Otherwise just go to your friendly Toro dealer and ask him to order the Toro part.
Or go to the TORO web page and download the attachments parts list as mentioned in your very first post.
Toro have seperate parts listing for impliments that are not fitted as standard to their equipment as do most other equipment manufacturers.