Problem with Honda Self Propelled

wje630

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi: First, let me say I am an older woman, who has no man to help me out with stupid questions regarding yard equipment. I recently had to replace my lawnmower, which was stolen from my garage when we first moved to a new place. I bought another Honda, with the same model number as my other one, but it is not exactly like my other one. Mine had a dial on the top of the mower which would let you change from mulching to bag. This one I have now does not have the dial. When I mow without the bag, it gets stopped up where the grass would usually go into the bag. I have to stop every once in awhile and get the grass out of the discharge hole. I don't think my other mower had one of those mulch plugs this one has. I finally realized the plug needs to be removed when mowing without the bag but it still gets plugged up. Is it because the grass is too high and the opening won't accomodate it or it is too wet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
It would help us, .. help YOU, .. if you would provide the mower model numbers from your machine , link below ..

http://www.hondalawnparts.com/p/Honda-Serial-Number-and-Model-Number-Locations

Also should have SOME information in your owners manual, MOST do .
Are you cutting when the grass IS wet, just how tall is the grass you're cutting, do you have wheel height adjusters on the machine in question, DID you remove the "plug" ?? And finally , ...although NO RELATION to your inquiry, BUT .. have you checked your oil level lately, do you know how ?? just curious..

wje630

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for replying to my post. I went out to the garage and got the information you asked for. The model # is HRR2165VKA, Serial # MZCG-7902475. I have the height adjustment as high as it will go. I try to wait until the grass is dry, but we have had really hot humid weather and sometimes the grass still has moisture in it. Also, I did remove the plug, but it still seems to accumulate in the opening. The oil was changed by the guy I bought it from before he sold it to me.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

The only stupid question is the one left unasked :smile:
I'm going to move this thread over to our Honda section.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have read through your owners manual and cannot really offer any more than what is in the manual, other than to check your mower to be sure it does 2 blades installed, (hopefully in good condition) that the underside of the deck is clear and TRY to keep the grass at lower height (NOT to low ,it'll "burn" about 3 to 3-1/2 inches)so when you cut it should be around 4 to 5 inches max. Honda is one of the BEST made mowers out there (in my opinion anyway) , We do have a member on the site that actually works for HONDA, a true gentleman that always helps those in need, however he is a busy guy ! you can send him a PM and ask for further assistance if you so desire ! ..... member ( robert@honda) keep us up-dated ...:smile:

Enclosed is a copy of YOUR owners manual in case you can't find your's !

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/00X31VL0U550.pdf

Mike88se

Threads
I can't add any more tech advice than Boobala has but I'll toss in my 2 cents. The mulch plug is FOR mowing w/o the bag. I'd suggest putting it back in. I have a neighbor who works for a lawn care company. He does side jobs on the weekends and uses two of those mowers. He's put them through hard use and I've repaired them several times. He doesn't use the mulch plug. He uses a bungee cord to hold the discharge guard (part that lifts up for the bag) open about 5" or so. I've never asked him why he does this but it seems to work out well for him. I suppose its sort of a rigged up rear discharge chute.
Just an FYI... I've never owned any mower that mulched well in high wet grass.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi: First, let me say I am an older woman, who has no man to help me out with stupid questions regarding yard equipment. I recently had to replace my lawnmower, which was stolen from my garage when we first moved to a new place. I bought another Honda, with the same model number as my other one, but it is not exactly like my other one. Mine had a dial on the top of the mower which would let you change from mulching to bag. This one I have now does not have the dial. When I mow without the bag, it gets stopped up where the grass would usually go into the bag. I have to stop every once in awhile and get the grass out of the discharge hole. I don't think my other mower had one of those mulch plugs this one has. I finally realized the plug needs to be removed when mowing without the bag but it still gets plugged up. Is it because the grass is too high and the opening won't accomodate it or it is too wet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The #1 reason clogs happen on most mowers is trying to cut too much grass at once. You should mowing often enough to take 1/2-1 inch maximum. If you try and cut 2, 3 or 4 inches of grass, you'll having nothing but trouble. The #2 reason is moisture, so try to mow when the lawn is dry.

Here are a couple of pages from Honda's Mowing Guide that you can review:

36293091541_fee811c73c_o.png

36429973195_083c94325d_o.png

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WOW !! is robert@honda a great guy or what, ?? HE is the HONDA encyclopedia !! .. Kudo's for jumpin in to assist the young lady !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup: