Electronic ignition conversion

ghost1

Threads
I'm working on a neighbors old snow thrower that has a Briggs model 100202-0274-01. I'm not sure of the horse power. I'm needing to replace points/condenser, and wondering if I should convert it to electronic ignition with a module that is made for that. Can anyone advise if it will work in this engine or should I replace original equipment.

Threads
Yes you can convert. I do it all the time. Just pull a mag coil off a newer 3-4/5 HP Briggs and slap it on there.

Threads
To do it right you can take the fly wheel off and snip the wire close to the points cover or just cut it close to the flywheel.

Gap it with a business card if you don't have gauges and it will fire up.

Any of those 3 - 4 1/2 HP Briggs will have a coil that will fit............

ghost1

Threads
If I'm understanding, if I replace the old coil with a newer one with built in electronics, I don't have to also install a Nova II? Will the original flywheel produce spark using the updated coil?

Threads
A nova who what?? LOL Hell no just put on the newer mag coil and let her rip.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I'm understanding, if I replace the old coil with a newer one with built in electronics, I don't have to also install a Nova II? Will the original flywheel produce spark using the updated coil?

I will hazard a guess that a Nova is a points eliminator mush like the Atom was ( the people who invented hall effect triggering )
If that is the case you ca fit it and leave the original coil in place.
One or the other but not both.

ghost1

Threads
Got it.... Thanks to all for the information

ghost1

Threads
UPDATE: Upgraded coil and it fired right off. It is however running extremely rich and engine surges. Running rich is not new as spark plug coated with soot before replacing coil. It has 70 psi on a compression test. The air adjustment screw is working, as it will stall if adjusted much before or past 1 1/2 turns. I replaced the carb diaphragm and air filter, but I don't think that would be causing either issue. Any more advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2191[1].jpg
    IMG_2191[1].jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 6