Removing valve springs on a LEV115 L head engine

Pumper54

Threads
Need to do a total tear down of my L head engine which is a LEV115-3600033D model and I am wondering if there is a way to pull the valve spring retainers off with out having to use the "Valve spring compressor" tool that no one seems to have. I was thinking of maybe compressing the spring with a flat blade screw driver and grabbing the spring keeper with a small pair of needle nose pliers. Does anyone think that will work or do I need to beg borrow or steal a spring compressor tool?
Tom

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If they are the type that you shift sideways to remove, a screwdriver works great flipping them off. If you have the half moon type retainers then you need the compressor to take them out and reinstall them.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can rent one at O'Reilly's or Auto Zone.

Pumper54

Threads
You can rent one at O'Reilly's or Auto Zone.

Have both auto parts stores in town, will go check them out for the spring compressor. Thank you
Tom

Pumper54

Threads
Well I got the valve springs out using a screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers. Now I can't get the exhaust valve out, seems to hitting something aright at the valve guide. Intake came out no problem, any ideas? I sure don't want to force anything. Both valve stems and seats look pretty nasty but I think it is oil fouled and not carboned up.
Tom

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The valve retainer groove gets mushroomed out and will not fit through the guide. Sometimes you can turn and pull and work it through. Other times have to get the spring out of the way, and get a small file or something similar to remove the mushroom burr.

Pumper54

Threads
The valve retainer groove gets mushroomed out and will not fit through the guide. Sometimes you can turn and pull and work it through. Other times have to get the spring out of the way, and get a small file or something similar to remove the mushroom burr.

That is what I was afraid of, was not going to pull real hard on it thinking it might pop the valve guide loose and then I would be really screwed. Guess it is tiny file time tomorrow. Gotta find something to do till foot ball season starts again. ;-)

Tom