Simplicity Regent 48 , 2014 Model , Tosses Belt on Engagement

driz

Threads
  • / Simplicity Regent 48 , 2014 Model , Tosses Belt on Engagement
Machine is new to mi in 14 has under 50 hours. The belt was replaced this summer when my daughter broke it long with bending the steering arm. Of course nobody knows how. Must have been me before I left and fogot:thumbsup: all about it! Yea right. I figure somebody took a sharp turn going down hill and folded the are. New one on and it's now fine. I assume she engaged the drive with the deck up which really tries to mangle the belt and it had already happened briefly a couple times before .
Trouble is the new belt which is NOT OEM always wants to pop off immediately when you engage the mower. Put it back on and it's fine till next time. Then it religiously happens again. The belt is the right size, fits and has a lot of tension. All pulleys and spindles are free and roll smoothly. The belt is routed right
I am not a belt fan, never was and prefer a PTO just for these reasons. I'm also a dam ed good wrench doing 99% of all my own everything for 40 years. Here is what I see and don't Like. The drive pulley is high enough that it comes off the pulley at a slight downward angle . Secondly the idler / tensioner is set at about a 20 degree upward angle from the deck. With this that belt not only has to cross it at an angle and come off straight parallel to the deck And over to the outboard spindle pulley.. I'm sure it works well enough but all that up and down and around action just seems to invite issues.
So what besides the pulleys , spindles and such will cause a well fitting new belt to toss every time it's engaged and otherwise operate perfectly?