Starter motor gear replacement

Everclear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, the starter motor gear on my B&G 15.5 hp Craftsman motor is shot. I tried to take it off tonight, but there must be some trick to getting that clip out of the groove to remove the top cap. Any suggestions would be most appreciatedMower gear.jpg Also, where is the best place to order a replacement from?

Threads
Just pop it off with a screw driver and push it back on with a 7/16 or 3/8 socket. That part is available at any local lawn mower shop or sometimes Lowes or Home Depot

Threads
I think the part number is 695708 if I remember right. Double check to make sure.

Tinkerer200

Threads
And when you pop it off, beware that it is going to fly to no telling where unless you take precautions and will be hard to find and to replace if you don't find it..

Walt Conner

hrdman2luv

Threads
I spray a little WD 40 on the clip, mash it down with a socket a few times to loosing it up. Sometimes, the the cap is hard to press because the clip is stuck to it. But it will loosing up. Then like they said, pry it out with a screw driver. There's a flat spot on the cap. Turn the cap until the end of the clip is in that flat spot. From there, I pry it up about half way, then use the needle nose to pry it the rest of the way while keeping my hand over it, just it case it slips from the needle nose.

Once you've got everything except the slip, like it's said earlier, take a socket (I used a 10mm) and tap it back in place.

It took me a few tries at first. And have lost a few of those clips. When they come off, if not secured or surrounded (by your hand), they FLY.