Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp lawnmower engine wont start.

grover

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 3.5hp lawnmower engine wont start.
I have been given a lawnmower with a B & S 3.5 engine but I cant get it to start,
I checked the sparkplug and its new, I checked the spark with a tester, and thats good, I replaced the petrol tank and carb, with one from a good lawnmower.
As I was trying to start it, it kept on backfiring out of the carb, so I thought the timings a bit out. I checked the blade for damage, and its ok, so I removed the flywheel to look at the key, and it was perfect, not a mark on it.
Then I thought if its backfiring through the carb the inlet valve is not closing properly, or sticking. So I removed the head, and reground the valves, and set the valve lash. When I tried again to start it, it was just the same. Anyone any ideas of what it could be gratefully received...

Threads
Intake tube might be loose or cracked causing it to suck air !!!!!

WyrTwister

Threads
If it had hit something , with the blade , it is common for the key between the flywheel and top shaft , to sheer & the flywheel move ( rotationaly ) in respect to the top shaft . Rhis throws the ignition timing off .

Pull the rope starter assembly off and check . I made a puller to get the flywheel off ( after I removed the nut at the top shaft ) .

The keys are inexpensive and available at Ace Hardware & other places that sell mowers & supplies .

God bless
Wyr

Threads
Grover you said you reground the valves.... Were you very careful not to get any grinding compound down in there ??

The only other thing to keep it out of time is the cam shaft is damaged in some way. Those plastic cams are epoxied together and can move on you. Example The lobes will be in a different spot because the gear wheel can rotate on the shaft part of the cam. You will have to compare it with a known good cam and look at it very closely.

grover

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it had hit something , with the blade , it is common for the key between the flywheel and top shaft , to sheer & the flywheel move ( rotationaly ) in respect to the top shaft . Rhis throws the ignition timing off .

Pull the rope starter assembly off and check . I made a puller to get the flywheel off ( after I removed the nut at the top shaft ) .

The keys are inexpensive and available at Ace Hardware & other places that sell mowers & supplies .

God bless
Wyr

Hi Wyr, Ive checked the blade and key, and its ok, and also like you I made a puller, to get the flywheel off.
The key was one of the best I have seen, not a mark on it. I was disappointed as it was my last hope after I had done the valves, so I will have to investigate further, but have put this on the back burner for now, as I have a good lawnmower to use. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Best regards Grover.

grover

Forum Newbie
Threads
Grover you said you reground the valves.... Were you very careful not to get any grinding compound down in there ??

The only other thing to keep it out of time is the cam shaft is damaged in some way. Those plastic cams are epoxied together and can move on you. Example The lobes will be in a different spot because the gear wheel can rotate on the shaft part of the cam. You will have to compare it with a known good cam and look at it very closely.

I cleaned the valves & seats etc well before re-assembly. I am coming to the conclusion like you say that its some sort of problem with the camshaft/gears.
I will remove the bottom plate and have a look, but I have put this on hold for now, as I have a good lawnmower to use.
Thanks for your help.
Best Regards Grover.

grover

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, for that I will have a look at it.

I had a look at the tube and it was ok. The bolts holding it on were slightly loose, so I tightened them, but it made no difference.