Easy2Start not working

EvCox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi -- Ev Cox from central Ohio with a Stihl MS180C chainsaw with Easy2Start. That feature involves an additional coil spring which gets wound up by the pull-cord and then supplies the power to start the engine. Great feature!!! as I am old with medical issues.

First 2+ years the saw performed exactly as advertised. With only my 'pinky' finger, I could slowly pull the start cord (without fighting the engine compression) about 18 inches and then the EasyStart spring would kick in and crank the engine.

Early this year my grandson helped cut up some downfall. I cautioned him not to jerk the pull cord like a regular saw. Don't know if he did anything wrong but, ever since, it's as if the the EasyStart is not there -- pulling the cord immediately starts cranking rather than winding up the spring. The saw can - and does - run OK otherwise.

Had the saw in to two different shops but don't think they really understood how the Easy2Start works. I'm asking for solutions or detailed description of the parts involved. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't know about your exact saw, but normally there is a stop to prevent the easy start from over winding. If subject to too harsh of start, or backfire, can be forced past the stop and will act like a regular starter, or in some cases will jam the starter preventing the rope from being pulled or retracting.