LOOKING FOR NEW ZERO TURN

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
I currently own a Grasshopper18 HP w/54" deck has about 4200 hrs & a Zipper 23 hp w/64" DECK 420 hrs. I like both mowers but the grasshopper is getting old / the zipper is fairly new but I live in Texas and have to order parts from California. I mow 10 -12 acres, I've looked @ the new grasshoppers but do not like that the lift switch is located on the deck. The snapper is nice but the radiator is located behind the seat along with the grasshopper. Both of the mowers I current own are flip decks. The Kubota is built pretty solid, I like the Kubota diesel but don't like the radiator behind the seat. The Kubota has 4 yrs 0%. However the John Deere 997 is a well built machine with the radiator in the back but is a very big machine and does not have any specials for financing. Anyone have any experiences with any of these machines? I'm leaning towards a 31 to 35 hp diesel with a 72" deck. I'm not to sure about the Yanmar diesels, I've looked @ a few tractors with Yanmar motors and they have all seemed to have overheating issues.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello & WELCOME to LMF....
Yanmar makes a good engine... I am partial to Kubota Diesel, but either is likely going to be good...

You will really like a 72 inch deck over the 54 or 64 inch... doesn't seem like a lot of difference but it really adds up on a large mowing area...
Get one you like the most, because they should run for thousands of hours, and you don't need thousands of hours on something you really didn't want... :smile:KennyV

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
Going to look @ an Exmark tomorrow 72" 34HP gas. Anyone know any goods or bad about this model. 0% financing for 3yrs, 4yr warranty. The dealer is claiming that the 34HP gas has more torque than the diesel.

polly

Threads
I would look at the husq mz6128--Heard it was almost commercial. Plus under 5 thou.--polly

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
Haven't heard of those in my area. I'm looking to buy something local that I can easily get parts for. I have to order parts for the Zipper that I'm current running from Caifornia. Takes to long.... Thanks

Black Bart

Threads
I bought a John Deere 430 with the Yanmar diesel back in 1985 and to date have had ZERO problems with it.
Of all the Brands you mentioned only one will still have all the parts you may need in 25 years from now and that is John Deere.

Over 100 years and still #1 selling more than anyone else and for a good reason.

If you just want something for a few years and then try to get something out of it on a new one it won't matter but if you plan on keeping it for years then the best choice is JD.

Mowing 12 acres you are the perfect candidate for a diesel it will save $$$$$$$$$$$$

ONTHESTRINGER

Threads
Wow that's good to know about the Yanmar. I have a john deere 4240 with a Rino loader it has over 8000 hrs --- it's been very good. I was leaning towards the diesels but the more I talk to everyone there has been a lot of over heating issues. However JD has the best design as far as the radiator location goes that I have seen so far. It is the only one located in the back.

I looked @ an Exmark with a 34hp Koehler Command that has more torque than the diesels & about 5 grand less than the JD. Too many different options now days. I'm going to test a few more before making my discission.

Black Bart

Threads
Wow that's good to know about the Yanmar. I have a john deere 4240 with a Rino loader it has over 8000 hrs --- it's been very good. I was leaning towards the diesels but the more I talk to everyone there has been a lot of over heating issues. However JD has the best design as far as the radiator location goes that I have seen so far. It is the only one located in the back.

I looked @ an Exmark with a 34hp Koehler Command that has more torque than the diesels & about 5 grand less than the JD. Too many different options now days. I'm going to test a few more before making my discission.

I have never heard of any overheating issues it would be my guess that they need to blow the stuff out of the radiator it will suck dead grass into it.

Comparing a Koehler command to a Yanmar is like comparing a Rolls to a KIA :laughing:
They are not even close Yanmar will run on a third the cost for fuel and last 10 times longer.

I will take a Briggs over a Koehler the old ones were pretty good but the new ones are not so great.

Black Bart

Threads
I assumed that you were getting your info from the Internet so I did a search, I goggled for John Deere overheating and sure enough some came up.

I only read 2 threads about it but it turned out just like I thought.

First one I read was a guy mowing extremely high stuff and he said it was plugging the screen over the radiator.

So what did he do about it????? NOTHING he just kept running it knowing it was overheating and now he is blaming JD because it is running poorly :eek:

A lot of people have no idea of how a piece of equipment works they are absolutely clueless.

Because he is an idiot he now blames JD for his problems after all it could not possibly be his fault. :laughing:

Threads
Have you looked at Toro? They have some really nice commercial mowers, both in diesel and gas, Great cutting decks. good suspensions and I like the kawasaki motors. Worth looking at before you buy.