Hustler hydro gear

DC1.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a hustler 48" super duty mower that's keeps spinning out the pulley and fan assembly. Anyone had this problem or a solution to this? Thanks

neetan

Threads
I have the same model, and have not had any issues. Could you add more information, photos/where/left or right/ when and after how long plus what you do to solve it? I heard there was an recall or upgrade to the 3100's in the fan but not sure this applies to you?

thanks

DC1.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same model, and have not had any issues. Could you add more information, photos/where/left or right/ when and after how long plus what you do to solve it? I heard there was an recall or upgrade to the 3100's in the fan but not sure this applies to you?

thanks
Can't post pictures but, its the right side and the mower has been doing this since it was a year old (almost 3 now). The problem is where the hub and pulley mesh together. The hub spins inside the pulley wallowing out the star groves and the friction is melting the washer in the bottom of the plastic fan. Have not solved the problem as of yet but, tired of paying 81.00 or a fan assembly. Local dealer is of no use.

mhavanti

Threads
DC1,

Find a way to get some photos of the pullies and post them. Have a neighbor or just anyone to help you get them up here.

Also, how old is it and is it under warranty? If under warranty, have you contacted customer service at the manufacturer?

Max

Hegsz71

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the exact same problem and the exact same side! Dealer is no help neither was here...
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showt...-quot-Drive-pulley-issues?p=272125#post272125

This first time I had it go I was dragging my driveway the weekend before with the mower and thought the drag was maybe too much for the mower. (sold tooth john deere drag with cement blocks on it for weight) the second time it happened all I ever did was mow. Now I'm on my third pulley and so far so good, but I feel it's just a matter of time.

DC1.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been through over a dozen pulleys in 2 years. Finally had enough with the dealer about a month ago, the Police say I can't go back there anymore! :confused2::confused2::confused2: lol

Hegsz71

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been through over a dozen pulleys in 2 years. Finally had enough with the dealer about a month ago, the Police say I can't go back there anymore! :confused2::confused2::confused2: lol
How tight are you putting the nut on? Dealer told me this last time to run it on with an impact until its tight. Don't hold it there, but until it clicks a few times... So far I have 4 hours on the new one and everything looks good, but it took 10hrs for the last one to melt the fan.. The time before I didn't use an impact and put it on tight, but not as tight as an impact would have.

My_Hustler

Forum Newbie
Threads
How tight are you putting the nut on? Dealer told me this last time to run it on with an impact until its tight. Don't hold it there, but until it clicks a few times... So far I have 4 hours on the new one and everything looks good, but it took 10hrs for the last one to melt the fan.. The time before I didn't use an impact and put it on tight, but not as tight as an impact would have.
Hi guys,

I have a Hustler Superduty Fastrak 54" 2012 model. Everything was fine up until I reached about 250 hours of which was about 40% pulling a small trailer with yard rubbish and 60% cutting 5 acre residential property. Very loud metallic rumbling noise which as that time I thought may have been the entire Hydro unit, however replaced the Fan Pulley Kit Part Number 601941 (or for some reason here in Australia the dealer part number is HG72124) and everything seemed fine.

- Then at 307 Hours I replaced the Fan Pulley again, didn't think much of it at the time.
- Then at 335 Hours, again, same noise. thought I had stuffed up the torque setting of the nut on the fan unit on the previous replacement, so purchased another Fan Pulley Kit and pulled out the Torque wench and set it to service manual setting along with Locktight and reinstalled and then all good again ...until now.
- At 379 hours, same noise, same Right Hand side (only ever the right hand side, never the Left hand side transaxle).
There is either a defect with what Hustler is providing as part of the Fan Pulley Kit or maybe Transaxle spline is somehow causing an ongoing damage to the Right Hand side Fan Pulley. I have checked the Transaxle spline and from reviewing the photo's it looks seemingly fine.

Any ideas anyone ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bolt the pulley & fan together with cap screws then place the complete unit over the spline and do the nut up nice & tight
If you have a welder then spot of weld one the top of the pins would not go astray.
I can not see any reason why the whole shooting match could not be one piece

Last edited:

My_Hustler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bolt the pulley & fan together with cap screws then place the complete unit over the spline and do the nut up nice & tight
If you have a welder then spot of weld one the top of the pins would not go astray.
I can not see any reason why the whole shooting match could not be one piece not be one piece
I can see where you are going with this option. Like you say, can't see why Hustler don't provide this as a complete single part. Don't have a welder, however will see the next door neighbour to see if he can do a couple of spot welds for me to weld the pulley and the metal piece that goes over the Transaxle spline together. Then surely it cannot wear.

Thanks for the advise / option.