kohler courage 27 engine

papathud

Forum Newbie
Threads
recently purchased and cub gt1554 with a kohler courage 27 engine. ran it for quite a while,came time to service it. changed the oil and filter, now im dropping a cylinder , seems like a valve sticking or if these are hydraulic lifter engines, a lifter collapsing. comes out of it a bit and runs fine, but seems to be getting more frequent. my first thought is what weight oil this engine calls for and are they that sensitive to viscosity that im possibly collapsing a lifter. of course my local dealer shop is a wealth of info....not

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Non hydraulic lifter engine. Not viscosity sensitive. I would be checking to see if you are loosing spark on one cylinder. I have done more than one ignition conversion on those engines over the years, because of either heat failure of the modules or the SAM goes bad. Depending on year could have the newer system.

papathud

Forum Newbie
Threads
yea the first place i went was the coils, theyre both good, or ohm out ok, of course then a had spark, the reason i suspected spark was a really wet plug of course so its still a possibilty

papathud

Forum Newbie
Threads
Non hydraulic lifter engine. Not viscosity sensitive. I would be checking to see if you are loosing spark on one cylinder. I have done more than one ignition conversion on those engines over the years, because of either heat failure of the modules or the SAM goes bad. Depending on year could have the newer system.

it actually got better when this hot weather let up, now of course its worse, i need to get a manual on it, whats this SAM? ignition module or spark control? this has a manufacture date of 2008, with the coils ohming out the same got me scratching my head. is there a quality conversion available and can you share m with me a good resource ? many thanks!!!

papathud

Forum Newbie
Threads
it actually got better when this hot weather let up, now of course its worse, i need to get a manual on it, whats this SAM? ignition module or spark control? this has a manufacture date of 2008, with the coils ohming out the same got me scratching my head. is there a quality conversion available and can you share m with me a good resource ? many thanks!!!

update,, coil problem, pretty common , there is a conversion to an old style coil, dont think you can even purchase a replacement 3 wire unit. i found a used one that corrected my problem. but for about 100 bucks you can replace both with a better setup. thanks for the reply !

Homer1

Threads
As stated, coils probably likely. Kohler seems to have crap coils.