Repairs HRX217HMA - Mower cuts out on low.

zirtbow

Forum Newbie
Threads
So for the past couple years I noticed when I set my throttle to "slow" the mower cuts out as if I moved it to stop. I thought maybe a carb was a problem but didn't really notice it until a friend of mine showed me his HRX217 keeps running while on "slow" until he fully moves it to the "stop" position. I have cleaned and even replaced the carb as part of my regular maintenance but I'm not sure what causes my mower to cut off on the "slow" setting. I suspect it might be the throttle cable but I wanted to get the opinion of other people before I just started replacing random parts.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
the engine stops when the throttle is moved to "Stop" by means of a wire that grounds out the ignition.
I suspect that your cable needs adjusting so that the ignition is not grounded til the throttle moves to "Stop."
Other than that, there may be an idle screw on the carb that needs to be adjusted to give a bit more carb opening
at the slow position.

My $.02 x 2..........

zirtbow

Forum Newbie
Threads
the engine stops when the throttle is moved to "Stop" by means of a wire that grounds out the ignition.
I suspect that your cable needs adjusting so that the ignition is not grounded til the throttle moves to "Stop."
Other than that, there may be an idle screw on the carb that needs to be adjusted to give a bit more carb opening
at the slow position.

My $.02 x 2..........

Are there any guides or instructions to adjust the throttle cable? I thought it wasn't adjustable?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are there any guides or instructions to adjust the throttle cable? I thought it wasn't adjustable?

So you have an HMA, with electric start?

As I recall, the throttle on those does not have a STOP position, you use the key to turn off the engine.

Anyhoo, here's how to adjust the throttle cable:

36149836402_9f528d5bdc_o.png

zirtbow

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you have an HMA, with electric start?

As I recall, the throttle on those does not have a STOP position, you use the key to turn off the engine.

Anyhoo, here's how to adjust the throttle cable:

36149836402_9f528d5bdc_o.png

Whoops sorry... My friend's mower is the HMA.. I have the HXA but I'm guessing these adjustment instructions will still be the same.

Thanks for the diagram!