Engine HRX 217 HKA - Leaking gas from carburetor on slope

TimCarpenter

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HRX 217 HKA - Leaking gas from carburetor on slope
I purchased a new Honda mower from Home Dept to replace a 20 year old dying Toro. I love this mower but have one issue. From front yard is a 35-40% slope. I mow it side to side. When I'm moving with the Carburetor faced downhill, it starts dripping gas (via the air filter) at the steepest areas of the slope.

Is this a flaw or a limitation with the mower. I'm thinking I may need to return the mower if it's always going to leak gas on the slope. If I did this, I'd be moving to a Toro --if course I have no idea if the Toro would have the same problem.

Appreciate any guidance/insight.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I purchased a new Honda mower from Home Dept to replace a 20 year old dying Toro. I love this mower but have one issue. From front yard is a 35-40% slope. I mow it side to side. When I'm moving with the Carburetor faced downhill, it starts dripping gas (via the air filter) at the steepest areas of the slope.

Is this a flaw or a limitation with the mower. I'm thinking I may need to return the mower if it's always going to leak gas on the slope. If I did this, I'd be moving to a Toro --if course I have no idea if the Toro would have the same problem.

Appreciate any guidance/insight.

Honda says not to mow on slopes greater that 20% grade, so yeah, that's probably fuel leaking from a vent port on the carburetor. If the mower is < 30 days new, you can get a full refund from Home Depot. Can't say what other brands may or many not be able to handle a 35-40% grade. Best of luck!

TimCarpenter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I saw the slope limit after doing some research...but assumed it was more about safety than performance. Really too bad as I love this mower for everything else.

jp1961

Threads
Hi Tim,

The leaking carb is only half of your problem, the other half being, if you operate a 4 cycle mower on a slope, there is the problem of oil starvation, unless the engine has a pressure oil lube system like a Kawasaki engine has. I'm not sure of the Kawasaki engine has a carb with a vent hole or not, if it does, it will likely leak gas like your Honda.

Plan B, would be to find a Lawn-boy with a Duraforce 2 cycle. They operate at any angle, with no issues of gas leaking out. There were discontinued in 2004, but you can find many good clean used mowers. I know you probably don't want to buy used, but the Duraforce engine has a cast iron cylinder sleeve, bearings at both ends of the crank, rod journal AND wrist pin. They last a very long time unless you run them without oil in the gas.

I bought a used Honda HRX215 mower this spring and I absolutely love it, however the back of my property (I have a walkout basement) has a serious grade slope and I only use my Lawn-Boy's behind my house.

Regards

Jeff