Hustler raptor 42" keeps throwing belt

Cocoloco

Threads
I have changed the drive belt on my HR 42" a few times, it has been getting thrown off the damn pulleys and breaking.

Anyway changed the drive belt again on Sunday drove the damn thing 10 yds and the belt come off again.

Going to replace the idler arm spring first; I changed the idler pulley on Sunday.

Then I saw a vid on you tube and I think one or more of the pulley cooling fan fins? is bent! and hitting the belt throwing it off the pulleys.

So do the pulleys need those cooling fins I assume they cool the transmissions? or are they speed fins?
If not I will try to cut the fins back a bit.

If they are needed I have to drop the transmission units to change the pulleys.
So there is me and a floor jack... how do the transmissions come out of the mower!

Any answers would be gratefully received.

:ashamed:

Datadave

Threads
Have you checked all the bolts that hold the Hydro-gears in place?
If the bolts are very loose or sheared off, the Hydro-gears will tilt over -
causing the drive pulley to get out of alignment and this may cause the belt -
to jump off the pulley. Also inspect the cross brace that goes between both
hydro-gears, some guys have found them to be loose, bent or broke.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do not i repeat do not mess with the fan blades unless you want to replace hydros. They need all the cooling they can get plus some. If the blades are causing problems you can buy new ones.

So here is anothe possibality on your problem. Check all pulleys for foren material in the v. I got a catail cut perfectly by my belt once. It took a long time to find that little bugger stuck in there. But once i removed it all was well.

Cocoloco

Threads
Thank you now it's stopped raining I can go out to check all the mounting bolts! I will post my findings.

Cocoloco

Threads
Datadave

Yes I had loose mounting bolts and 2 missing!!! Replaced them all with new and put split washers all round.
Also I replaced the idler arm spring.
Been mowing for an hour and all is well.Now if it would stop raining for a week I can get the other 2 acres done.
:cool:

Datadave

Threads
Glad to hear you got it figured out.

I hear you on the rain, it's been crazy around here.
Just a few months ago we were begging for it - with the woods on fire everywhere -
Now it won't stop, my place is like a swamp.