Repairs GT242 Throttle Cable Replacement

bgross44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could anyone give me a brief overview of replacing the throttle cable on my lawn tractor? The steering wheel should come off - is it as simple as the one bolt that holds it on? Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the bonnet off.
Steering wheel stays where it is.
Battery will need to come out .
Pull the yellow thumb tab off the throttle lever undo the two bolts and it pulls inward towards the engine bay to remove it.
TAKE SOME PHOTOS FIRST AND NOT WHERE CABLE TIES ARE
TAKE PHOTOS OF THE CONNECTION AT THE ENGINE BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE WIRE SO YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT IT BACK

bgross44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the bonnet off.
Steering wheel stays where it is.
Battery will need to come out .
Pull the yellow thumb tab off the throttle lever undo the two bolts and it pulls inward towards the engine bay to remove it.
TAKE SOME PHOTOS FIRST AND NOT WHERE CABLE TIES ARE
TAKE PHOTOS OF THE CONNECTION AT THE ENGINE BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE WIRE SO YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT IT BACK

Thank you for the reply - there isn't any yellow thumb tab on my GT242 (23 years old) - I do see there are two bolts but they are way up inside the console piece and the only way to get to them is to take the console off - so that probably means removing the steering wheel. Was just wondering if there is more to taking that off than the screw that holds it - maybe no need for a puller but perhaps wiggle it off? Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for the reply - there isn't any yellow thumb tab on my GT242 (23 years old) - I do see there are two bolts but they are way up inside the console piece and the only way to get to them is to take the console off - so that probably means removing the steering wheel. Was just wondering if there is more to taking that off than the screw that holds it - maybe no need for a puller but perhaps wiggle it off? Thanks again.

The console pulls right off.
Once upon a time there was a piece of plastic on the end of the lever unless told otherwise one assumes it is still there.
To get the front panel off you have to remove the steering stem, not the wheel and that is a split pin down near the bottom of the steering shaft.
Remove the top two retaining bolts and loosen the lower ones.
The panel should rotate enough to get at the bolts.
To take it off completely you also have to remove the parking brake lever.

However it is still a lot easier with a socket and extension through the battery opening.

bgross44

Forum Newbie
Threads
The console pulls right off.
Once upon a time there was a piece of plastic on the end of the lever unless told otherwise one assumes it is still there.
To get the front panel off you have to remove the steering stem, not the wheel and that is a split pin down near the bottom of the steering shaft.
Remove the top two retaining bolts and loosen the lower ones.
The panel should rotate enough to get at the bolts.
To take it off completely you also have to remove the parking brake lever.

However it is still a lot easier with a socket and extension through the battery opening.

Thank you I will give it a try.

mjb8fj

Threads
Thank you I will give it a try.

1/4"drive ratchet, long extention, a u-joint or swivel, and socket is the easiest way. You can take the steering and everything off if you really wanted, but the long 1/4" with a swivel is the best.

bgross44

Forum Newbie
Threads
1/4"drive ratchet, long extention, a u-joint or swivel, and socket is the easiest way. You can take the steering and everything off if you really wanted, but the long 1/4" with a swivel is the best.

That's sounds like the best idea yet - thanks very much.