tiger cub dies when steering arms engaged

garyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
My cub, will set and run when the parking brake engaged or disengaged. Normally, it will die with no rider and brake disengaged. Now it runs continuously. And when steering arms are pulled in to go, it dies. This again is with or without rider. Any suggestions??
I did buy this new. About 10 years ago. Has about 1100 hours.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
My cub, will set and run when the parking brake engaged or disengaged. Normally, it will die with no rider and brake disengaged. Now it runs continuously. And when steering arms are pulled in to go, it dies. This again is with or without rider. Any suggestions??
I did buy this new. About 10 years ago. Has about 1100 hours.

Sounds to me like the parking brake switch is not releasing. It might be stuck inside or something.

garyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds to me like the parking brake switch is not releasing. It might be stuck inside or something.

kinda what I thought. but I tried bypassing the safety switch, by running jump wire, in the switch. may try pulling wire out of switch. thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Be careful doing that.
Most are now wired so if you disconnect them the mower will not work at all ( Blame moron owners, smarty pants lawyers and way too lienant judges ).
Then if you jump then wrong & send 12 V to the kill wire you just killed another $ 200.
The switches are reasonably cheap but a PIA to replace.

garyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Going to replace switch now. Hope that works. Thanks for the advice.

garyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
well, replaced the switch on the brake handle. no fix. But I am seeing that the mower doesn't die when the brake handle is released and I get off of the seat. Normally, it will shut off, when brake is off and I get off. And it still dies when steering arms pulled in to go. I'm hating the thought of replacing all switches. Any thoughts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So that means you have the wrong switch or it is not positioned correctly.
There is only two ways to rectify the problem.
Replace everything
Find out what is wrong and fix that.
If you problem is a broken wire, no amount of switch replacement will get your mower going.
Where possible I like to start with a wiring diagram.

Usually the safetys are wired in pairs and then each pair is wired in parallel to the kill switch.

Parking Brake + Seat
Seat + Blades
Parking Bake + Lap Bars

They are all ground circuits so finding shorts or broken wires is difficult.

There are only 18 different safety switches however a lot look identical but work exactly the opposite way to each other.
I buy mine mostly from Stens and even then I find the occasional one incorrectly labled so they always need to be checked.

Now to add to the confusion, the Brake & PTO switches also have a 12V side that works as a daisy chain to the starter solenoid.

What I do is to use a lot of short jumpers to bypass each switch one at a time till the problem goes away ( when duff switch is bypassed )
If that does not happen then I use longer ones to bridge from one switch to the next.
This is a long labourous process , no short cuts.

garyl

Forum Newbie
Threads
that looks to be my next move. thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you go that way pull the kill wires off the magneto coils.
Just touching the kill line to battery voltage will kill the trigger chip in the coil.
And of course double check the kill wire with every combination of control positions you can before reconnecting it.