Lawwnboy 21" Mower w/ 149cc Kohler Engine Issues (Video included)

mcmcomput

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Lawwnboy 21" Mower w/ 149cc Kohler Engine Issues (Video included)
I've had this mower since 2012 and its worked fine, done regular maint and used Stabil during winter. Oil was done fall of last year before storage. I've replaced the spark plug and cleaned the carb and the video show's where i'm at currently.

This is how it runs, if it decides to stay running. *Yes that is a zip tie adding tension to the spring as part of my troubleshooting, not normal running :)

This is trying to start it after it ran for a bit...

Thoughts/Suggestions to try?

lewb

Threads
I would guess the choke is not releasing the throttle plate or is still engaged. Is it an automatic choke or do you have to turn it on with the throttle lever?

mcmcomput

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would guess the choke is not releasing the throttle plate or is still engaged. Is it an automatic choke or do you have to turn it on with the throttle lever?

Its an automatic choke with a device going to the muffler which when it warms up, opens it up. I've tried holding the choke open, closed and partially open while starting all with the same result of it starting for a bit then dies.

Could it be the spark plug coil generator? I've replaced the spark plug.

mcmcomput

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its an automatic choke with a device going to the muffler which when it warms up, opens it up. I've tried holding the choke open, closed and partially open while starting all with the same result of it starting for a bit then dies.

Could it be the spark plug coil generator? I've replaced the spark plug.

I think i solved it... I plan to mow the lawn this afternoon, but decided since I was rebuilding and old generator carb, i'd do the mower just for grins. Soaked it in the tub of carb cleaner for an hour and runs much better. I'm almost thinking dirt or something was in the line or carb and also realized there is no fuel filter on this unless its built into the tank.

Will it hurt anything to install an inline fuel filter?