1997 Craftsman 25hp 50" garden tractor wont move

Bleach

Threads
i finally got this thing running good but now it won't move. It's a Craftsman 50" with a 25 hp Kohler. I had an issue with the engine running out of control but that's fixed now. It has a hydrostatic drive and won't go forward nor reverse. The belt is running the way it should and appears to have the right tension when engaged. The mower deck operates as it should.
The odd thing it will move a little forward when I move the drive lever to reverse but nothing happens moving the lever forward. Nothing is broken or disconnected. It drove with no problems the last time I used it. I have no idea how to check the fluid level in the transmission as there is nothing in the the owners manual about it which has perplexed me all the years of owning it. The transmission has never leaked.
Is the transmission shot?

Bleach

Threads
The model number is 917.258920 if that helps anyone.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure you haven't forgot to push the bypass lever in so it will move. If it has set for any length of time you may need to bleed the air from the system. Jack the rear wheels up, pull the bypass, start the mower and then move the direction control lever both directions several times, and then push the bypass in and move through the same forward and reverse motions to see if that helps.

Bleach

Threads
No the bypass is not engaged and working as it should. That's how I push the mower out the door so I don't stink up the garage when starting it. I pushed it out to start it and when I tried to back it up to put it back in the garage, that's when I found out it wouldn't move either way. I had just tried jacking it up and run it with the rear wheels off the ground and nothing happened either. It hadn't been sitting for more than two weeks. I had the engine out to check if the governor was broken but it was OK. It put it all back together and double checked the belt to make sure it was routed correctly which it was. The idlers are fine and tension correctly when releasing the brake lever. I pulled the inspection cover and the I could see the belt and fan running normally. I'm stumped.

helomech

Threads
There may be a key on the shaft that could have sheared. See if you can turn the pulley and make sure the shaft spins with the pulley.

Bleach

Threads
I think that was the first thing I tried. It's definitely not a sheared key on the crankshaft. In fact the key is part of the pulley.

Bleach

Threads
The transaxle and pump are Hydro-gear 218-3010 and BU-10L-122

Bleach

Threads
Thanks Boobala. I found the site when I googled the manufacturer. They don't seem to have anything for my transaxle but I did find the pump. I have a feeling the problem may be in the pump but it could also be a collapsed oil filter. It's never been changed and the write-up in the tractor's manual states the pump/axle doesn't need servicing which has always worried me. It does say it's filled for the "life" of the unit. Anything can be filled for the life of the unit. I think it all depends on how long you want it to "live". The manufacturers and sales outlets don't care how long it last once your warranty runs out. They're in the business of selling tractors and parts. I think they'd be shocked to see that I made this beast last as long as it has.
I have some understanding of this kind of pumps and it could be as something as simple as a stuck check valve or broken spring. I don't think it's the bypass valve because it still locks up axle. I don't think it's a stuck brake either since it will move and stops the wheels from turning when applied. It doesn't make any noise when running so I don't think it's something major. The wheels turn in opposite direction as they should when I lift them off the ground. They don't make any noise when turning them and they turn freely when spun.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked the keys in the axle shafts at the wheels?