ZD326 discharge problems

bill-d-c

Threads
I've got a Kubota ZD326 (26HP diesel, 60" cut) that when I get into a little tall stemmed grass with it (especially if it's a little damp, like early in the morning) the mower bogs down and almost nothing comes out of the discharge opening. It basically turns into a mulching mower (does not have mulching blades or mulching kit on it) and will even stall out if I don't stop it every few feet and let it catch up. I'm not cutting grass that is very tall and the deck is set a 3". My 26HP Gravely has no trouble getting through it. Now, if I'm cutting very dry, short grass it flys through it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, it has a brand new set of blades on it and the engine seems to be running fine. Thanks.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We ran at 326 for 800 hours. I still see numerous commercial guys with them but I never could get it to cut grass like many mowers. One problem you probably have is you need to throughly scrape the build up out from under your deck. That might help a little to get better air flow.

We cut extremely large amounts of Bahia Grass and I never could figure out how to get a Kubota to cut it.

bill-d-c

Threads
When I installed the new blades, I cleaned underneath the deck. I was thinking that it must be a bad design on the deck, or maybe a slower blade speed that keeps the mower from discharging that type of grass. Like I stated, my Gravely walks through it fine. That's disappointing, I really like that Kubota mower...but if it won't cut tall stem grass it will have to go.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something to consider is the amount of blade lift. Had a customer that runs Scag commercially and normally ran high lift blades, but I got a hold of extra high lift once, and he tried them, and said that the deck would clog about every 10 feet if the grass was damp. It seemed that the extra lift increased the force of the grass enough that it would stick it to the bottom of the deck and would come out in clumps.

bill-d-c

Threads
I went to my local Kubota dealer to buy the new blades. He told me that the "flatter" blades were a mulching blade and sold me a blade that probable has about a 1" upward lift opposite the cutting edge. These matched the blades that were on before. So what I might need are blades with less lift? Like maybe 1/2" or so? Are blades like that a standard dealer offered blade you think?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like 1-1/8 is the standard air lift height for your mower. I did find a set of Gator Mulcher blades with 3/4 lift but I am not a fan of the mulching type blades.

bill-d-c

Threads
I appreciate the info. Looks like my only option is to sell it and move on to something else. Too bad, that thing is built like a tank...just doesn't cut tall grass worth a hoot.

mhavanti

Threads
I don't own a Kubota, however, your discharge opening may have a restriction you could open up to allow the clumps to flow more easily. Shoot several close up and a couple of pictures of your chute openings and post them here. Maybe someone else has made some modifications or some of us may see the problem. Many mowers require specific modifications in order to improve an already great mower.

Good luck Sir,

Max

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I installed the new blades, I cleaned underneath the deck. I was thinking that it must be a bad design on the deck, or maybe a slower blade speed that keeps the mower from discharging that type of grass. Like I stated, my Gravely walks through it fine. That's disappointing, I really like that Kubota mower...but if it won't cut tall stem grass it will have to go.

I traded my 326 in with 800 hours on it. Bought a Tiger Cat Scag and never looked back. I now have three Tiger Cat Scags. Personally if Kubota told me that they would give me a mower free if I could not sell it and buy something else I would thank them and let them keep it. I never found anything that will out cut the Tiger Cat in Bahia Grass. If I found it and I could buy one locally I would be running them.

In my personal opinion Kubota desperately needs to do some serious deck design changes some way.

I still have a ZG 222 Kubota. It is worse than the 326 when it comes to Bahia Grass. I have a blower and bagger on it and use it specifically to get up leaves. It is basically useless to me commercially this time of year trying to cut grass because seldom do we find a yard in our area that does not have some Bahia in it and the Kubota absolutely will not cut it in one pass clean. The Tiger Cat with fresh sharp blades will cut Bahia grass that has not been cut in three weeks in one pass.

The Velocity Deck on the Scag is incredible.

bill-d-c

Threads
I don't disagree with what you're saying. I've got the mower for sale on 2 different sites, but it's getting late in the year and people aren't looking for mowers right now. Will probably sit on it until spring, then re-list it. Prior to buying this mower, I had narrowed it down to a gas powered Scag, or a diesel Kubota. When the Kubota sells, I'm more than likely going to end up with a Scag. Which one, I don't know. I mow around 15-18 acres and I use my mowers like brush hogs so I'll need something hearty. The Gravely I have has done well but it's starting to fall apart (bought it new in 2006, 26HP water cooled Kaw. with 60" deck).