ZD326 discharge problems

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know a guy that bought a Kubota. I think it is the 700 series but not sure which one. He finally took a Matabo and cut some of the baffle off in the front of the blades to get his to cut bahia grass. he said that made it better but it still won't cut with the Scags.

bill-d-c

Threads
Bought a set of mulching blades for it. Ran them without the mulching kit installed. They have a 1/2" lift (stock blades are 1 1/8" lift). Thought maybe these might help with the discharge problem, but no dice. I'm out of ideas. I have come to the conclusion it is just a flaw in the deck design. The discharge velocity just isn't what it should be and I doubt there's much I can do about it. Lesson learned I guess.

mhavanti

Threads
Bill,

What is your dealer telling you about the deck and the quality of cut?

Max

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't disagree with what you're saying. I've got the mower for sale on 2 different sites, but it's getting late in the year and people aren't looking for mowers right now. Will probably sit on it until spring, then re-list it. Prior to buying this mower, I had narrowed it down to a gas powered Scag, or a diesel Kubota. When the Kubota sells, I'm more than likely going to end up with a Scag. Which one, I don't know. I mow around 15-18 acres and I use my mowers like brush hogs so I'll need something hearty. The Gravely I have has done well but it's starting to fall apart (bought it new in 2006, 26HP water cooled Kaw. with 60" deck).

Everybody has an opinion on mowers. Personally for me anyway anything above a Tiger Cat is overkill. We run 52" decks because they will go into so may tight holes and are so nimble. We cut over 90 properties every two weeks. The largest if around 14 or so acres and the others range from 4 to 5 acres down to a half acre or even less. I personally have found nothing that comes close to matching the cut and durability of these mowers. I have had some electrical problems with them from time to time and have had to replace some other little odds and ends on them but if they will last for me and my crew they will probably last for anybody.

bill-d-c

Threads
Bill,

What is your dealer telling you about the deck and the quality of cut?

Max

The dealer says he's never heard of anyone having the problems I'm having. He's the one that recommended the 1/2" rise blades, he also told me to throttle down the engine while in tall, wet or long stemmed grass. I talked to a Scag dealer today, and he said the problems I'm having are commonplace with the Kubota mowers. When I asked about trading it in, he said he really didn't want it, said their too difficult to get rid of. He said he'd take the Gravely in on trade, but really didn't want the Kubota. He said he couldn't give much for it.

mhavanti

Threads
Sorry to hear he isn't helping with the problem. Was he the selling dealer? If so, he should be able to fix it and then demonstrate he has it mowing to your satisfaction.

bill-d-c

Threads
Yes, he was the selling dealer. Swears he's never heard of such a problem. I believe the Scag Turf Tiger might be what I'm going to go with. 31HP Kawasaki EFI liquid cooled engine, 61" deck. I've got someone looking at the Kubota tomorrow, he sounds serious, so here's hoping it goes down the road.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hope so Bill. Good luck.

Hope you get rid of it.

It is a shame to pay that much money for a mower that won't cut grass. I feel you pain. The one I traded in with 800 hours sold at the dealer used for more than the Tiger Cat I bought. The guy that bought it was happy and I was too. I would not trade my tiger cats with the hours on them even for a new Kubota. Regardless of what the dealer tells you THE KUBOTA MOWERS WILL NOT CUT BAHIA GRASS.