Hustler, We Have a Problem

bigblock

Threads
Just when I said that I haven't experienced any problems with my Fastrak, one comes up. It very possibly could be a Honda problem instead.

I have a Fastrak 52" with a Honda 20. I went out to mow today and suddenly it has no power. Starts right up just like it always has but when I engage the deck the engine starts stumbling. It recovers after a few seconds but when I start moving it bogs down and starts missing and has no power.

I pulled the air cleaner off and cleaned it out. It was quite dirty so I thought that, surely, that was the problem. Started it up and it is still acting the same. I have 112 hours on the mower and have never touched the engine other than to change the oil and clean the air filter. I'm letting it cool off now and I will check the plugs but, other than that, I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

It seems to run fine until the mower deck is engaged. Possibly something wrong in the deck that could be overloading the engine? Anyone else have similar experience? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Black Bart

Threads
When you disengage the blades do they coast down or stop quicker than normal.
My guess is a problem with the engine either spark or fuel check both if the new plug don't help..

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like one of the clyinders is missing spark under a load. I would start by checking the plugs and plug wires.

SouthTech

Threads
112 hours is still fairly new. I would change the air filter not just clean it and check for water in the fuel. If that doesn稚 do it bring it to your dealer it should be under warranty.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would also suspect the fuel... If that checks out, then get a a change of spark plugs... not bad to have on hand anyway & they are about the easiest change out check you can make...

I doubt the deck is causing an excessive load, but you can remove the belt and check each spindle to see that they are OK... :smile:KennyV

bigblock

Threads
The mower is six years old so I think the warranty is long gone. The dealer where I bought it is no longer in business so I am currently trying to locate another dealer within a reasonable distance. I will not take it to a dealer unless absolutely necessary but I need to get parts.

I am thinking fuel too but when I pulled a plug it looked black which seems to indicate too much fuel. I think that a new air filter is in order because I have only cleaned it periodically but never replaced it. This whole problem is likely the result of my shoddy maintenance. I will probably replace the fuel filter and the plugs as long as I am forced to finally do the right thing.

I really don't think the problem is in the deck. It doesn't act any different than it ever did when engaging or disengaging. The problem seems to be that the engine just is way down on power. It sounds fine until I start loading it down then it falls on it's face.

I don't think there is a major malfunction here. Most likely, like I said, just the result of poor maintenance. I will keep y'all advised.

Thanks for the replies.
Bob

bigblock

Threads
Good news! Just as suspected, the problem was self-caused by failing to properly maintain my machine. Replaced the air filter, prefilter and the plugs. Runs like brand new! Apparently knocking and blowing out the air filter does not restore full air flow. Lesson learned.

The closest dealer, Red Rooster Mercantile in Colquit, Ga.. had none of the parts. The auto parts store in Colquit was able to cross-reference the plugs so I now have two new Gator 77-310's made in the good old Czech Republic (don't we make anything anymore?) and I found the air cleaner filters at (no kidding) Collins Mower Parts and Flea Market. Back in business for forty bucks.

Thanks for the help. It's great to have someplace to go with these little problems. This is a nice place. I'm glad that we got a Hustler forum here. I'm going out and mow with my new engine now.

Have a great day.
Bob

Black Bart

Threads
Good news! Just as suspected, the problem was self-caused by failing to properly maintain my machine. Replaced the air filter, prefilter and the plugs. Runs like brand new! Apparently knocking and blowing out the air filter does not restore full air flow. Lesson learned.

The closest dealer, Red Rooster Mercantile in Colquit, Ga.. had none of the parts. The auto parts store in Colquit was able to cross-reference the plugs so I now have two new Gator 77-310's made in the good old Czech Republic (don't we make anything anymore?) and I found the air cleaner filters at (no kidding) Collins Mower Parts and Flea Market. Back in business for forty bucks.

Thanks for the help. It's great to have someplace to go with these little problems. This is a nice place. I'm glad that we got a Hustler forum here. I'm going out and mow with my new engine now.

Have a great day.
Bob
I wash and oil my pre-filter and blow the filter clean and reuse it for several years without a problem.

I think you filter was so dirty it caused it to run real rich fouling the plugs.

After you cleaned the filter if you had changed the plugs it would have run fine.

I clean and oil my pre-filter regularly and the main filter stays clean allowing me to use it for several years.

Parkmower

Threads
Black Bart said:
I wash and oil my pre-filter and blow the filter clean and reuse it for several years without a problem.

I think you filter was so dirty it caused it to run real rich fouling the plugs.

After you cleaned the filter if you had changed the plugs it would have run fine.

I clean and oil my pre-filter regularly and the main filter stays clean allowing me to use it for several years.

I don't like oiling the pre filter. I know some people do. But I wouldn't recommend it. It clogs the paper filter.

Black Bart

Threads
I don't like oiling the pre filter. I know some people do. But I wouldn't recommend it. It clogs the paper filter.

I just changed the original paper filter on my 180 it is a 1986 25 years with the same paper filter and it still didn't look all that bad.

I will say that if you don't do it properly it may oil the paper but that is from over oiling.

K&N recommends oiling their filter and it does not have a pre-filter
Try wringing out the pre-filter I use ATF NOT motor oil it is too heavy