Hustler, We Have a Problem

bigblock

Threads
I wash and oil my pre-filter and blow the filter clean and reuse it for several years without a problem.

I think you filter was so dirty it caused it to run real rich fouling the plugs.

After you cleaned the filter if you had changed the plugs it would have run fine.

I clean and oil my pre-filter regularly and the main filter stays clean allowing me to use it for several years.

The filter in the Honda is a flat pleated paper filter, much like the air filter in many autos, that fits in a housing on the side of the engine. The prefilter is just a thin sheet of foam that lays under the paper filter. The prefilter is designed to be dry. If it was oiled it would just soak into the paper filter and, most likely, clog it.

The air filter is designed to trap dirt before it can get into the engine which it apparently does well. It appears that at least some of that dirt is trapped well enough that it cannot be blown back out and the filter eventually becomes restricted to the point where the engine cannot get enough air to run properly. I now understand the need to periodically replace that paper filter in order to keep the engine running at it's full power.

Your filter may be designed to have an oiled prefilter but that does not appear to be the case here. I think that replacing the paper filter, even at the inflated prices that they are going for these days, is my best option with this engine. It has been extremely hot and dry here, especially this year. That is causing much more dust than normal, which can be expected to shorten an air filter's useful life. The engine being low mounted in the rear of the mower certainly doesn't help matters.

Thanks again for your input.
Bob

SouthTech

Threads
If you ever need hustler parts cross referenced just let me know :)

Bamaboy09

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, I own a Hustler and the other day I pulled it into the garage, the following day when I cranked it, the mower will not engage to move forward or reverse. I looked under the seat at the belt and it has slack in it, but I don't see another pulley so Im kinda stuck! Any help would be appreciated!!:)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
You really should start a new thread with this problem, in this same 'Hustler' forum... It will allow others to see it easier and will make it handier to find in the future, should someone else look for a similar problem.

Depending on the model, what is yours?
There could be an engagement idler pulley on the main drive...
If the engine is not driving the pump... it will not drive the wheel motors... :smile:KennyV

jameswsr

Threads
Sounds like your tension spring for your drive belt tension pulley is broken, disconnected or possibly missing. No tension no drive.

Ltmt

Threads
I see where you talked about the fuel filter, but your post does not say that you replaced it. At six years it probably should be replaced.

Danny lee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Hustler Sport 42" about4 years old. A few weeks go while mowing it suddenly stopped running as if I had turned the key off. I tried to restart but it would not start. I left the machine and came back several hours later, it started and ran fine, no apparent issues. Yesterday it stopped again, I was mowing and it just stopped, no sputter or coughing just stopped as if I had turned the key off. I have returned to the machine several times over the last 2 days but it will not turn over, let alone start. Seems like a dead battery, but don't believe a battery would cause the mower to stop mid cut. I'm thinking a safety sensor malfunction, I know there is one under the seat, how many more are there? Is there a way to test sensors without wholesale replacing each one.

Thanks for any help Dan

Just when I said that I haven't experienced any problems with my Fastrak, one comes up. It very possibly could be a Honda problem instead.

I have a Fastrak 52" with a Honda 20. I went out to mow today and suddenly it has no power. Starts right up just like it always has but when I engage the deck the engine starts stumbling. It recovers after a few seconds but when I start moving it bogs down and starts missing and has no power.

I pulled the air cleaner off and cleaned it out. It was quite dirty so I thought that, surely, that was the problem. Started it up and it is still acting the same. I have 112 hours on the mower and have never touched the engine other than to change the oil and clean the air filter. I'm letting it cool off now and I will check the plugs but, other than that, I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

It seems to run fine until the mower deck is engaged. Possibly something wrong in the deck that could be overloading the engine? Anyone else have similar experience? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

jameswsr

Threads
I have a Hustler Sport 42" about4 years old. A few weeks go while mowing it suddenly stopped running as if I had turned the key off. I tried to restart but it would not start. I left the machine and came back several hours later, it started and ran fine, no apparent issues. Yesterday it stopped again, I was mowing and it just stopped, no sputter or coughing just stopped as if I had turned the key off. I have returned to the machine several times over the last 2 days but it will not turn over, let alone start. Seems like a dead battery, but don't believe a battery would cause the mower to stop mid cut. I'm thinking a safety sensor malfunction, I know there is one under the seat, how many more are there? Is there a way to test sensors without wholesale replacing each one.

Thanks for any help Dan

Dan. Have the battery voltage checked to see if it is dead or low voltage. You can check it with a DC Volt meter. It should have at least 12.5 volts static and while it is running check it to see if voltage is higher than static voltage. If your charging system is not charging or working than the electric clutch will drain the battery and the mower will stop. Another thing to check are the relays hidden under the key switch panel. Remove bolts holding key switch panel on and lift up to expose 2 square black plastic relays. Go to you hustler dealer and buy one and replace one at a time to find out if either is bad.

Ltmt

Threads
I had a similar problem with my same model Hustler. Saw a video on You Tube where the guy said to disconnect the white wire that goes to the coil by the flywheel and then see if the machine will start. I pulled that wire off and it started right up and ran all day. I am guessing that it is along the same lines as what jameswsr is talking about in his post.

Dan. Have the battery voltage checked to see if it is dead or low voltage. You can check it with a DC Volt meter. It should have at least 12.5 volts static and while it is running check it to see if voltage is higher than static voltage. If your charging system is not charging or working than the electric clutch will drain the battery and the mower will stop. Another thing to check are the relays hidden under the key switch panel. Remove bolts holding key switch panel on and lift up to expose 2 square black plastic relays. Go to you hustler dealer and buy one and replace one at a time to find out if either is bad.