New Guy With a New Mower

Ahalachis

Threads
Hello!

I am not only new to this form but new to owning a Gravely ZTR.

I looked at the Husky Z254, Icon X, Gravely ZT X and the ZT XL. After a lot of reading and research I finally pulled the trigger on a new 2017 ZT HD 52. When I saw it in the shop I couldn't pass it up. Got it home on Tuesday but it was raining so I had to wait until Wed to try it out. This is my first ZTR and man I didn't know what I was been missing.

A little strange at first but after three or four passes I got the hang of it. I can't get over how quickly and clean it cuts the grass.

I have a few newbie questions

1. When not in use do you store it with the deck up or down? Which puts less stress on the lift components?
2. Manual says to service the Hydros after 100 hours...that seems like a short amount of time. Looking for opinions
3. I want to avoid putting a bagger on this. The one cut I did was on grass that was longer then I would normally cut and it did a great job. So much so I think I could just continue to side discharge. However does anyone have experience with the mulch kit for this deck? If so what are your thoughts.
4. Dealer says 8 - 10 hours and change the oil for the first time. Should I change the filter as well?

I know some of these are basic questions but I am so happy with the mower I want to make sure I do everything right when maintaining it.

Mr. Ed

Threads
Hello!

I am not only new to this form but new to owning a Gravely ZTR.

I looked at the Husky Z254, Icon X, Gravely ZT X and the ZT XL. After a lot of reading and research I finally pulled the trigger on a new 2017 ZT HD 52. When I saw it in the shop I couldn't pass it up. Got it home on Tuesday but it was raining so I had to wait until Wed to try it out. This is my first ZTR and man I didn't know what I was been missing.

A little strange at first but after three or four passes I got the hang of it. I can't get over how quickly and clean it cuts the grass.

I have a few newbie questions

1. When not in use do you store it with the deck up or down? Which puts less stress on the lift components?
2. Manual says to service the Hydros after 100 hours...that seems like a short amount of time. Looking for opinions
3. I want to avoid putting a bagger on this. The one cut I did was on grass that was longer then I would normally cut and it did a great job. So much so I think I could just continue to side discharge. However does anyone have experience with the mulch kit for this deck? If so what are your thoughts.
4. Dealer says 8 - 10 hours and change the oil for the first time. Should I change the filter as well?

I know some of these are basic questions but I am so happy with the mower I want to make sure I do everything right when maintaining it.

Welcome aboard! I'll take a stab at some answers:

1. Shouldn't matter, as the deck is supported by steel and chains, not hydraulics.
2. Probably a good idea to follow the recommendation. New filters and oil.
3. I added the chute baffle so I could cut next to landscape beds with no discharge, and it seems to work to mulch leaves and other debris as well. Probably not as thoroughly as the mulch kit, though.
4. I got the same advice. Oil and filters are cheap compared to premature wear. Do it. Probably not necessary, but peace of mind is a good thing.

tbzep

Threads
Decent quality filters are cheaper than a quart of oil these days. I personally can't justify not changing the filter with the oil. I bought a Kawasaki filter for the first change so that I could compare it with other brands. I will use Wix, NAPA (made by Wix) or Motorcraft for future changes because they are available locally and are inexpensive good quality filters. Here are cross references if you are inclined.

Oil Filter:
Kawasaki 49065-7007
Wix 57035 (2.2”), 51056 (2.7” check length)
NAPA 7035 (2.2”), 1056 (2.7” check length)
Fram PH8170
Carquest (Wix) 84035, 85065
Supertech (Wix) ST3614
Motorcraft FL-910s, FL-793 (bigger but seals, check fit)

If Motorcraft FL-910s fits then these may also work:
Purolator PureONE PL10241
Purolator Classic L10241
Mobil1 M1-102
ACDelco PF53
Bosch 72161WS

Ahalachis

Threads
I am coming from a JD with a B&S that threw a rod with less the 400 hours on the engine. I don't what to go through that again. Even though I did regular maintenance on the JD I plan to make sure maintenance and care are a priority with this one.

That said during my research I came across in few comments that I am not sure about

1. Never engage the PTO when the throttle is at the full position. Only engage and disengage at low throttle.
2. Never engage the hydros at any engine speed other then full throttle. It will damage the hydros

Just to variety OEM part numbers

11013-0752 Air Filter
49065-7007 Oil Filter
49019-0027 fuel Filter

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am coming from a JD with a B&S that threw a rod with less the 400 hours on the engine. I don't what to go through that again. Even though I did regular maintenance on the JD I plan to make sure maintenance and care are a priority with this one.

That said during my research I came across in few comments that I am not sure about

1. Never engage the PTO when the throttle is at the full position. Only engage and disengage at low throttle.
2. Never engage the hydros at any engine speed other then full throttle. It will damage the hydros

Just to variety OEM part numbers

11013-0752 Air Filter
49065-7007 Oil Filter
49019-0027 fuel Filter

This is correct. I personally engage my PTO at what ever speed the engine is at. But as a rule it should be 1/2 throttle or a little less. Read your manual for the recommendations.

Hydros are designed to be run at WOT and nothing else.