Troy built-Honda 5hp pressure washer pump leaking

Matt98svt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I have a Troy built model 01903 pressure washer that works, but water is running out the bottom between the pump and the brass uploader..I see a couple of different repair seal kits but unsure what all I need. It also appears I can buy a new pump unit all together for approx $85 so looking for advice on what parts I need to get this unit working like new again. I will try and upload a pic or two of where it's leaking

Attachments

• IMG_6813.jpg
    IMG_6813.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6817.jpg
    IMG_6817.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6823.jpg
    IMG_6823.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 8

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will need to take the pump apart to see what is leaking. I suspect either a blown piston seal or the pump housing is cracked.

Telesis

Threads
I would not recommend putting any money into repairing this pump. Here's why. When you look at the end of it, you can see one of the socket head screws is missing, and someone has filled that area with JBWeld. It sure looks like the housing is cracked near that JBWeld. This is called the 'pump head' and it costs about $150 to replace. You will not be able to get it apart easily and the replacement cost is more than a new pump! Add to that a check valve kit and seal kit and you can see it's not worth doing!

FYI, the "unloader" is the item on the top of the pump head with the spring. It is basically a relief valve that gives the high pressure water a place to go when you let go of the trigger on the wand. It's also used to set the max pressure of the pump. Down on the bottom, the item with the black plastic fitting is the thermal relief. If you run the pump without fresh water being run through it, it gets hot and this relief valve opens.

If the Honda engine is running OK it's worth putting a new pump on, IMHO!

FWIW....