Repairs Parking brake stuck

cmdatsef

Forum Newbie
Threads
The parking brake on my 2005 MTD Yard-Man mower (M/N 13AX605G755 1663693) is stuck down. The button will not release. Any ideas on how to get it up? There is no response to the brake or clutch pedal being pressed. It appears to be dragging when it runs. Please please please do not tell me my mower is junk like the last two mechanics have done who have returned my mower in pieces.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is not a simple do this ....... fix.
It could be nothing more than a stick wedged underneath or a build up of debris stopping the pedal returning
or
Debris build up jambing the brake on.
or
a belt jumped off
or
a spring broken
or
or
or................
You will have to get under and have a look.
I like to lift the front up with a crane / pulley etc till the mower is sitting on it's bum so I can see everything in good clear light.
If you do that put some shrink wrap over the fuel filler hole the screw the cap back on tight and remover the battery.
Do not tip the mower on it's side as you end up with all sorts of problems depending where the oil ends up going.

If you are unsure , then get it up in the air and take some nice clear photos.
There are some on here that are really good with photos.

You can also remove the rear wheel ( right from memory ) and remove the brake.
Before you start put the brake lock on as the spring is fairly stiff & can do serious damage to fingers if the tension is suddenly released.

You undo the 2 small bolts and it pulls off as a complete unit.
Generally the outer brake pad and shim will fall out then the disc pulls off the spline to revel the rear pad.
In the piece you unbolted there will be 2 short rods they corrode and also get jambed from debris and stop the brake releasing.
Clean everything, put some dry lubricant on the spline then reassemble and finally release the brake lock.
If the pedal does not return to full height then you are looking at a clutch problem.

cmdatsef

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is not a simple do this ....... fix.
It could be nothing more than a stick wedged underneath or a build up of debris stopping the pedal returning
or
Debris build up jambing the brake on.
or
a belt jumped off
or
a spring broken
or
or
or................
You will have to get under and have a look.
I like to lift the front up with a crane / pulley etc till the mower is sitting on it's bum so I can see everything in good clear light.
If you do that put some shrink wrap over the fuel filler hole the screw the cap back on tight and remover the battery.
Do not tip the mower on it's side as you end up with all sorts of problems depending where the oil ends up going.

If you are unsure , then get it up in the air and take some nice clear photos.
There are some on here that are really good with photos.

You can also remove the rear wheel ( right from memory ) and remove the brake.
Before you start put the brake lock on as the spring is fairly stiff & can do serious damage to fingers if the tension is suddenly released.

You undo the 2 small bolts and it pulls off as a complete unit.
Generally the outer brake pad and shim will fall out then the disc pulls off the spline to revel the rear pad.
In the piece you unbolted there will be 2 short rods they corrode and also get jambed from debris and stop the brake releasing.
Clean everything, put some dry lubricant on the spline then reassemble and finally release the brake lock.
If the pedal does not return to full height then you are looking at a clutch problem.

Thank you so much for getting back to me on this. The mower is clean underneath, no sticks or debris. I have pulled off the brake assembly, cleaned and reassembled it. When you say to put the brake lock on, do you mean the parking brake? I can't put the parking brake on because it is stuck. It is already on. It won't release. Is there some other brake lock?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The reason I asked for still photos was so we can compare it to pats books, service sheets ,look for mal alignment and for wear marks.
This is easy to do with a good clear still but near impossible with shakey hand video that is not clearly focused.
All I could take from that is the operating lever in the drivers booth does not return.
Best I could see is that the silver lever on the bottom of the brake lock might need to go towards the camera ( right when sitting on the mower ) so it rests on the green tab above.
looks like it has slipped down inside of where it should be.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert,

As I have a Yardman, I assumed the parking brakes would be the same, but I guess they aren't. My parking brake is applied by pressing the brake pedal all the way down and then moving the 'speed' lever down to the "parking brake' position. All that does is block the brake pedal from coming back up. This merely applies the brake and holds it in the 'on' position. Depressing the brake pedal and then moving the 'speed' lever up into any other position releases the brake.

In the underneath pictures, the brake rod is that black rod on the extreme left of the picture that runs all the way back to the brake itself, which is a tiny sort of 'disc' brake. Pulling on that rod is what applies the brake,

There is something here I'm not understanding. I'd like to see the parking brake control on this Yardman before I can figure out what is really going on.

Roger B

cmdatsef

Forum Newbie
Threads
The reason I asked for still photos was so we can compare it to pats books, service sheets ,look for mal alignment and for wear marks.
This is easy to do with a good clear still but near impossible with shakey hand video that is not clearly focused.
All I could take from that is the operating lever in the drivers booth does not return.
Best I could see is that the silver lever on the bottom of the brake lock might need to go towards the camera ( right when sitting on the mower ) so it rests on the green tab above.
looks like it has slipped down inside of where it should be.

pics atttached

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.05.09.png
    Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.05.09.png
    513.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.05.30.png
    Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.05.30.png
    623.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.05.49.png
    Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.05.49.png
    672.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.06.55.png
    Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.06.55.png
    533.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.07.15.png
    Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.07.15.png
    606.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.07.40.png
    Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.07.40.png
    573.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.08.10.png
    Screenshot 2017-07-30 15.08.10.png
    561.5 KB · Views: 21

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, this Yardman must either be much newer or much fancier than mine. I still don't understand if the actual brake is used as the 'parking brake' (like it is on my machine) and if it is what's stuck "ON", or if it is just that 'button' on the dash that I assume is what puts your parking brake on. And why aren't any of the photos taken directly at the parts in question? Even the one of the 'button' I'm assuming puts on the parking brake, was taken at an angle.

How about an explanation of how you put on the parking brake and whether or not the regular brake is utilized to provide it. Can't you just whack the damn thing with a hammer and knock it loose?

RB

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Despite the bad angles of the photos which are still from the shakey hands video you can see the brake rod down the bottom and the parking mechanism to lock the rod which is the bright zinc plated plate that seems to be stuck.
To me it appears that it has slid down the side of the guide plate but is hard to see which means the OP will just have to wait till one of the 50 people with that exact model Yardman happens upon the thread.
Some seem to delight in providing us with an impossible challenge.

cmdatsef

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, this Yardman must either be much newer or much fancier than mine. I still don't understand if the actual brake is used as the 'parking brake' (like it is on my machine) and if it is what's stuck "ON", or if it is just that 'button' on the dash that I assume is what puts your parking brake on. And why aren't any of the photos taken directly at the parts in question? Even the one of the 'button' I'm assuming puts on the parking brake, was taken at an angle.

How about an explanation of how you put on the parking brake and whether or not the regular brake is utilized to provide it. Can't you just whack the damn thing with a hammer and knock it loose?

RB

Thank you for your response. I will try the hammer approach.