TimeMaster - Oil Film / Oil by Spark Plug ?

KickInTheGrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a new TimeMaster at Home Depot.

Issue: The Timemaster I bought had a film of oil by the spark plug. I know these are not shipped with Oil, but there is some during the build. Home Depot stores all of these Timemaster mowers on the side (in the box), not flat on the wheels. I did not think it was an issue since these units do not have oil.

When I started it (after correct setup) it blew smoke because oil was in the exhaust. Now I have an oil film on the front, and still some by the plug. I ran it, wiped up the oil. Now sitting there there is still some light oil around the plug and muffler.

Question: I read about some of these units with bad-head gaskets, but this oil was present before starting. Maybe this still has some residual oil in the muffler area after sitting it's side in a box side?

Time.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most engines are run at the factory and then drained of oil There is normally a small amount of oil in the engine. If stored with the cylinder down oil could enter the cylinder and run out an open valve

KickInTheGrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most engines are run at the factory and then drained of oil There is normally a small amount of oil in the engine. If stored with the cylinder down oil could enter the cylinder and run out an open valve

Thank you - that makes sense.