Poulan PRO 42 - Health Hazard / Clutch Popping Machine

KickInTheGrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Poulan PRO 42 - Health Hazard / Clutch Popping Machine
Back in 2005 I owned a Craftsman which is the same design (with the exception of the handle to engage the blades) as the Poulan PRO Model #960460075. I sold that Craftsman and hired a lawn service some years ago (should have kept it). That Craftsman would pop a wheelie if the wheels were turned and the clutch was released quickly, but with the wheels pointed forward the Craftsman was fine. The Poulan is a different story.

I am posting this in case other folks experience this issue or are considering this bull ride of a mower.

The Poulan in regards to pulling wheelies is a clutch popping machine. It is a health hazard to ride if you have any neck or back issues. Using this mower in 1st gear, 5th, lowest throttle possible, it does not matter. It jerks like a horse coming out the gate.

When you release the clutch as-slow-as-possible it does not engage until it is fully released, it does not start to move (as you would expect with stick / clutch) but jerks like a bull ride when the clutch is fully released.

I contacted Poulan regarding adjusting the clutch but there is none. I really wanted to keep this machine, overall I like it, but the clutch issue and the pain I had in my back and neck after a mow on this machine, no way.

To diagnose the issue I did the following.

1. Disconnect the break
- Some folks say that the break is the problem and releases late and causes the jerk / wheelie.

2. Look under the unit for possible adjustments.
- The pulleys are all fixed
- The pulley guide cannot be adjusted
- The only choice is to get a smaller belt or elongate the engine holes to push the engine forward

So with the break disconnected, I put it in gear (low throttle 1st gear - really any gear) same thing, jerks like bull ride. A co-worker has one, same issue. I returned the mower and got my money back.

12dfc658-7dff-40ce-8dae-811564fdd67b_1000.jpg

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have seen cases on new riders where the parking brake is set a little too tight from the factory, meaning that the brakes don't release until the belt is almost all the way engaged. It is the same effect as holding the brake pedal on your vehicle, revving the engine and then releasing the brakes.

KickInTheGrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have seen cases on new riders where the parking brake is set a little too tight from the factory, meaning that the brakes don't release until the belt is almost all the way engaged. It is the same effect as holding the brake pedal on your vehicle, revving the engine and then releasing the brakes.

I mentioned I disconnected the parking break and tested it. This is all a clutch adjustment issue you can hear that the belts do not grab at all until the clutch is fully released. Then... the horse left the gate and you have whiplash.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A belt that is too long or oil damaged will also do that.
I fit a lot of non standard sized belts to compensate for badly worn pulleys.
The same thing will also happen with a wrong profile belt