Stihl FS45 Bogging When Cold

jakesmurray

Threads
I bought this weedeater from a guy at the beginning of the summer this year. He bought it new in the fall of last year. It was used very little. I have used it regularly this year. Here lately, it has been bogging down when I give it the throttle. When I go to give it a prime for a cold start, the bulb is usually empty, and it never really fills up, even while I'm using it. When I first start it, it starts normally and idles like a champ, but when I give it gas, it will just bog down and die. Once I let it idle for about 3-5 minutes, it'll run great and I can throotle it all I want. The only thing I have done is cleaned the spark arrester, and tried to adjust the carb per the instruction manual. Neither thing changed it. I would like to be able to just go out, cold start it, and start weedeating. I can say that the only thing that really changed was the guy who had it before me was using 91 octane gas, but I switched it to 87. That shouldn't matter though, right? Let me know if I can fix this. Thank you!

Z

zzzz00008

I'm going on my second season with my trimmer and have had no problems. I use nothing but 91 octane and think it's worth the extra money.

Edwards saw service

Threads
jakesmurray said:
I bought this weedeater from a guy at the beginning of the summer this year. He bought it new in the fall of last year. It was used very little. I have used it regularly this year. Here lately, it has been bogging down when I give it the throttle. When I go to give it a prime for a cold start, the bulb is usually empty, and it never really fills up, even while I'm using it. When I first start it, it starts normally and idles like a champ, but when I give it gas, it will just bog down and die. Once I let it idle for about 3-5 minutes, it'll run great and I can throotle it all I want. The only thing I have done is cleaned the spark arrester, and tried to adjust the carb per the instruction manual. Neither thing changed it. I would like to be able to just go out, cold start it, and start weedeating. I can say that the only thing that really changed was the guy who had it before me was using 91 octane gas, but I switched it to 87. That shouldn't matter though, right? Let me know if I can fix this. Thank you!

When starting a unit cold wiggle the choke open and closed back and forth rapidly while at full throttle until it gets full power with out wiggling the choke. This will reduce warm up time. Wiggling it give it more fuel and air which helps a lot with warm up.

Sent from Lawn Mower Forum for iPhone.

jakesmurray

Threads
When starting a unit cold wiggle the choke open and closed back and forth rapidly while at full throttle until it gets full power with out wiggling the choke. This will reduce warm up time. Wiggling it give it more fuel and air which helps a lot with warm up.

Sent from Lawn Mower Forum for iPhone.

Ok, I may try that. Thanks