Pull cord has some tension but does not turn the engine

shobuddy

Threads
  • / Pull cord has some tension but does not turn the engine
Sounds like the same problem I am having . Are there 2 little springs in there too ?

Which of these parts / repair kits look correct for this application ?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Rotary-13587-Starter-Pawl-Kit-for-Briggs-and-Stratton/1308809514

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

I have not been able to get the screw off yet to answer your question about the springs. That said, I did order the item below so once I do get it off, I'll have what I need. I think I only need a new screw but the screw price on amazon is about the same as the ebay item below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rewind-Star...9-281505-691696-13587-Free-Ship-/252639034035

WyrTwister

Threads
Used a nut driver attachment for my cordless , to remove the screw on mine .

The photo in your link barely shows 2 springs , each in a track of the black plastic " plate " . Interesting .......

Please let me know how that turns out , when you receive the parts .

Wyr
God bless

shobuddy

Threads

The photo in your link barely shows 2 springs , each in a track of the black plastic " plate " . Interesting .......

Wyr
God bless

I'm not very mechanically inclined so bare with me but how did you use a nut driver to remove a screw?

WyrTwister

Threads
Just unscrewed the screw . Counter clock wise .

Wyr
God bless

Threads

Wyr
God bless

Yes I agree that is not the right part you ordered. I wish you would have said something about buying one earlier I would have given you one for free........

WyrTwister

Threads
Yes I agree that is not the right part you ordered. I wish you would have said something about buying one earlier I would have given you one for free........

I have not purchased parts yet . If you have the correct parts , I would be happy to pay you for them .

Wyr
God bless

WyrTwister

Threads
Thanks ! :)

Private Message sent .

Wyr
God bless

shobuddy

Threads
I ended up cutting out the friction plate using a hand saw and then I had enough room to use locking pliers to remove the screw. I noticed the friction plate has no springs and the ebay item I purchased has springs so is this what you are referring to as far as being the wrong part? Furthermore, there are two issues I see with the bottom to the friction plate. First, in the two pawl slots, one slot has a pin that fits into the pawl. The other slot looks like the pin has broken off. Second, while cutting the friction plate off, I accidentally cut into its bottom backing. Both of these are illustrated in the attached images. Am I still good go to in installing a friction plate on these two issues or do I now need to replace more parts?

Attachments

• IMG_20170803_173732.jpg
    IMG_20170803_173732.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170803_173846.jpg
    IMG_20170803_173846.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 7
Threads
I ended up cutting out the friction plate using a hand saw and then I had enough room to use locking pliers to remove the screw. I noticed the friction plate has no springs and the ebay item I purchased has springs so is this what you are referring to as far as being the wrong part? Furthermore, there are two issues I see with the bottom to the friction plate. First, in the two pawl slots, one slot has a pin that fits into the pawl. The other slot looks like the pin has broken off. Second, while cutting the friction plate off, I accidentally cut into its bottom backing. Both of these are illustrated in the attached images. Am I still good go to in installing a friction plate on these two issues or do I now need to replace more parts?

Yes that what we were referring too as the wrong part. When I quoted on Wyr Twisters post. I have several of those if you want one let me know all it'll cost you is the shipping cost. It will be the whole assembly ~!~!