Pull cord has some tension but does not turn the engine

shobuddy

Threads
  • / Pull cord has some tension but does not turn the engine
This is on a Craftsman 917.376480 lawn mower with a 675 series Briggs & Stratton engine. About half way done mowing the lawn, I went to pull the starter cord and after a few pulls, the cord stopped turning the engine. There is still some tension on the cord as it recoils if I let it go but something has happened where it no longer turns the engine. I'm not very technical but it feels like the cord has come disconnected from the engine and is just maintaining tension with a spring. I'm going to open it up but wondering if anyone can help with a diagnosis based on the symptoms I described. Previously I had the cord loose all tension and had a mechanic replace the coil assembly but this is different in that it still has a bit of tension. This time I'd like to do the fix myself if at all possible. TIA

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Broken starter pawls in the SUSA cup Need to remove blower housing to access inside of starter to assess what is actually wrong.

Threads
Yep those little white plastic Pawl/dogs like ILENGINE said are most likely the issue.

When you take the air shroud off look at the recoil when you pull on it. If you don't see 2 lil white pawls jump out then that is your problem ~!~!

shobuddy

Threads
Thank you guys for the feedback. I opened the mower and noticed both pawls had fallen out. They don't look damaged to me but I'm not an expert. Do I need to replace the friction plate instead? Or replace the pawls AND the friction plate? Or just the pawls? Or just put the existing parts back together?

Threads
Well you could put it all back together and hope for the best. IF it does it again then order new parts.

Something caused them to fall out in the first place. Maybe the rope was a bit short when the repair was done. If you yank hard and way back then you are putting things in a bind.

If the repair was done right then try to put it all back. Those hoods can take a lot of stress...........

shobuddy

Threads
Having a helluva time trying to get the friction plate screw off. The screw well is not very deep so I can't get any traction. I've sprayed PB penetrating spray on it but still no luck. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20170729_093115.jpg
    IMG_20170729_093115.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170729_093136.jpg
    IMG_20170729_093136.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 9

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
5/16 6 point socket. Bolt could have factory dry type thread locker on it.

shobuddy

Threads
5/16 6 point socket. Bolt could have factory dry type thread locker on it.

I tried 5/16 but screw is too big. I've tried many sizes and nothing fits. I know 5/16 is the official size but the screw is just a little too big for the socket. Even tried lightly tapping the socket onto the screw with no luck. GrrrrrrrRRRRRRRR

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
8mm socket is slightly larger than 5/15"