Honda HRX 217 Transmission Issues - Looking to Purchase

MountainMover

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRX 217 Transmission Issues - Looking to Purchase
Newbie here. I am looking to buy a six year old HRX 217. The current owner said that he noticed the right wheel was dragging/not rolling and making noise. So he removed the wheel and the gear was loose and the axle was not turning when he spun the left wheel. That is all he knows.

I am thinking about going to look at it. I am fairly mechanical and would love to get the HRX for a good deal. When I go look at it, how do I know if the transmission is shot, or if it is something else? He is asking $100. Should I be scared?

Thanks so much!

John

jp1961

Threads
In a worst case scenario a complete transmission is 255.28 (partstree.com). That might be a bargaining chip in getting the mower for less than the 100.00 asking price.

It's possible the mower could be fixed for less, but until you get into it, you won't know.

Regards

Jeff

deckeda

Threads
That's a good deal. I think I read here that the issue is caused by a bearing, gear or something simple that's gone bad -- not the trans.

Mike88se

Threads
I would haggle on the price a little more but try get it. There are two or three things that could be and all are easy to fix and parts are cheap. The wheels use a ratcheting drive system very similar in function to a ratchet drive wrench. Best thing to do is pull that wheel off and have a look at the gear and related parts. I'm thinking the ratchet key and spring are bad. Could need a circlip or a washer also. I'll add a pic below to show the likely culprits. Stole the pic so keep it on the lowdown ;) Best place for Honda parts is boats.net
hrx-rear-wheel.jpg

Mike88se

Threads
BTW when I bought mine it actually did need a trans but the trans was cheap as was the mower. One of the best deals I ever made. Over the years I've done a few repairs. It's easy to work on and parts are cheap and it's an amazing mower. I eventually sell every mower I buy but I'd never sell this mower. You'll need the complete model # when ordering parts e.g. HRX217K3VKA

MountainMover

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the help, guys. I was going to buy it then ended up getting a Harmony II HRT 216 for $20. Runs great. The self propel is having issues, but it is not the transmission. Just the rear axle ratcheting system needs to be rebuilt.