Aftermarket coils

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
It is electric so you can get a broken wire that touches some of the time.
Inside the Module is a small Hall effect chip which replaces the points and these are very amperage sensative some cheap multimeters can actually fry them.
You can et corrosion on the kill wire and a bad ground through the mounting bolts which is what needs to be cleaned
The rest does not matter.

Tinkerer200

Threads
I have often found that the act of removing and re-installing a coil makes it work because the mounting areas actually was what needed cleaning to make a proper ground. The little bit of rust or whatever you cleaned from areas you mention has no affect on magnetic flux. Clean mounting areas bright clean.

Walt Conner.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
On the advice of council,after cleaning all contact points, I have reinstalled and gapped the offending coil.
As it is currently making spark, I will run it til it gives me cause to replace.

We'll see how that goes.........

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, after cleaning all points of contact and re-installing the suspect coil, the motor
ran fine until yesterday. One cylinder dropped out while mowing, but came back a short time later.
So, it worked perfectly-til it didn't.
Then, it didn't-til it did.
Sounds kinds like the makings of some sort of nursery rhyme...

I purchased 2 B&S modules, so I guess the time is nigh to install them..........

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
HEY GUYS !!

Remember .. Politics is forbidden on THIS SITE !!

Politics is dividing this country , take it elswhere ...PLEASE !

Tinkerer200

Threads
The very first thing you should do when asking a question is post the make and model number of your engine so we have some idea what we are talking about. Now it appears you may be talking about a twin cylinder B&S engine in which case I suspect it is the "Kill Wire" harness which is causing the problem. IF you did post the model number and I overlooked it, I apologize. Disconnect the Kill Wire from both coils and see what happens IF you have the problem again and I think you will.

Walt Conner

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
The very first thing you should do when asking a question is post the make and model number of your engine so we have some idea what we are talking about. Now it appears you may be talking about a twin cylinder B&S engine in which case I suspect it is the "Kill Wire" harness which is causing the problem. IF you did post the model number and I overlooked it, I apologize. Disconnect the Kill Wire from both coils and see what happens IF you have the problem again and I think you will.

Walt Conner

Thanks, Walt,

Engine: 446777-0316-E1 - Briggs & Stratton V-Twin
Mower: MTD 14AR808K731 - Huskee Garden Tractor (2004)

My rudimentary understanding of electricity tells me that, if the kill wire to one coil is grounding out,that both coils would shut down.
That should be true unless the engine has kill wires that are independent and isolated for each coil.

Am I incorrect?

Mike88se

Threads
Is there a down side to using aftermarket coils in a B&S engine??
They cost way less, but do you give anything up in performance or longevity?

I bought a new B&S coil for the Timemaster a few weeks back. Made in China ;)