Blades High Lift blade for 21 inch HONDAS push or self propelled mowers

sousabone

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / High Lift blade for 21 inch HONDAS push or self propelled mowers
If you mulch and use theIR standard double gator type of HONDA blades-don't read further. HONDA mulching is great and can't be beat.

If you want a high lift blade to bag read on...

The HONDAS all come with a mulching which is a middle of the road .75 lift blade. But if you move up to 1.00 lift, this is a 33 1/3% increase in lift and bagging. You can even hear the difference. Obviously HONDA sells 9 to 1 to owners who prefer to mulch.

How to accomplish this extra lift and superb bagging possibilities?

You will throw the small blade away.

Don't do the following: take the existing HONDA .75 lift mulching blade and bend the outer tails for more lift. This isn't permanent as the spring steel will spring back after time.

Buy the OREGON high life 92-101 blade at 1 lift. Yes, this blade is a little too long at 21.25 inches, but the 3 holes are a perfect fit for HONDAS. Now take this blade and grind the outer edges until the fit is perfect. yes, trial and error are fine. The balance IF you get it to fit is perfect too-I've checked. Obviously, if you grind WAY too much off one side you will be off balance. You also gain about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in your cut as the HONDA blades like all blades are measure diagonally and are a little short of 21 inches.

RESULT: you have a perfect fitting HONDA blade with a LIFT increase of 33 1/3 percent. The bagging is stunning better. The look of your lawn is text book stunning. The blade is twice as heavy as the HONDA mulch original equipment blade. The mowing swath is now larger with a true 21 inch blade not a diagonally measured 21 inch blade.

You get what you pay for. As an example, this new heavy duty blade can be sharpened about 30 times as it is THAT heavy duty. Thank you OREGON for perfection.

REMINDER: you CAN NOT drill the three holes correctly as this is high spring steel and must be done by OREGON during the manufacturing process.

sousabone

Forum Newbie
Threads
about time!

Mike88se

Threads
good tip... thanks!

ammodave

Threads
I know it's an old thread but I just discovered this tip. I bought a couple of Oregon 92-101 blades for my HRX217HYA and modified them as recommended by the OPR and they work much better than the oem blade. You'll have to grind off about 1/8" from both ends of the blade but the results are worth it.

HRX

Threads
I am using the Oregon 90-651 GATOR Blade on my Honda HRX machines. I am only using this blade. They do not say this fits the HRX, but it does. The setting for the height will have to be lowered 2 settings. The blade fits close and has more suction. It lifts the grass better and you can see the bag is really getting more air.
At first I thought it would hit the insides, but it does not. I love it!

evanson86

Forum Newbie
Threads
To the folks running the 92-101 blade on the HRX; are you also running the 92-102 as the top blade? 92-102 is Oregon's factory replacement top blade on the HRC. Think an HRC top blade would even fit and work on an HRX.... are you guys running the original HRX top blade? Or, are you only running the 92-101 blade and not using a top blade?

I am about to sell this HRX and get a Time Master. cut quality at 4" on cool season TTTF, TRG, and KGB is driving me mad.

Thanks guys,

Last edited:

evanson86

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am using the Oregon 90-651 GATOR Blade on my Honda HRX machines. I am only using this blade. They do not say this fits the HRX, but it does. The setting for the height will have to be lowered 2 settings. The blade fits close and has more suction. It lifts the grass better and you can see the bag is really getting more air.
At first I thought it would hit the insides, but it does not. I love it!
that G3 blade you're using... that is a 3/4" lift blade.... same as OEM Honda blades. I dont think you are doing yourself any additional good by running this single G3 blade over the OE twin micro-cut blades.

poohbear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you guys mean like this 21" blade? This one will suck spare change off your garage floor. Also any small rocks, ALL the dead thatch and leaves from your lawn. You guys should check this one out. Best bagging blade on the market.

View attachment 52770View attachment 52771
What blade is this and where did you buy it?
Thanks

ammodave

Threads
Interesting; bolt on airfoils. I wonder if this would work on a Honda? Any problems drilling the holes or balancing the blade?

evanson86

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I went ahead and ordered the Oregon 92-101 blade and the 92-102 (HRC top blade) for my HRX217HXA. the 92-102 HRC top bale will not work. Also, the OE HRX top blade will not work with the 92-101. trying to use both blades pushes the blade below the deck. So, the 92-101 should only be used by itself.

After slight trimming of length, a razor sharpening and balance, the 92-101 blade works great. I have only been able to use the 92-101 one time. I have a cool season grass blend of TTTF, RG, KGB. HOC was set to 3.5", mow every 3rd day religiously. with 14k Sq.Ft. lawn I have adjusted the Governor to spin the engine at 3300/3400RPM's with the blade spinning. Engine turning near/just over 4K with no load. at lower RPM's, 2500-ish, I can hear a very defined whoosh sound coming from the mower, this made my ears happy. with mower at 3300RPM, clip director set all the way to mulch was my preferred way. even with clip director set 1 notch from full mulch, it left a very noticeable trail of cut grass left on the top. HOC @ 3.5" cutting wheel to wheel, no overlap, there is still not enough suction to suck up grass the front wheels have driven over for my preferred look. at 3.5". the 92-101 far exceeds the OE Honda blades but, 1 wheel width over lap cut damn nice compared to OE Honda blades.

I am going to lower my HOC to 3" and see how this blade does at that height. I'll probably play with the engine RPM at some point just because.... hopes this helps somebody..