Cub Cadet Transmission

solefate

Threads
The left transmission on my cub cadet 17ae2acg010 rzt 42 just went out today. Stopped moving at all and sounds horrible when you try. My question is whether or not it is worth trying to rebuild considering I have never opened one up, or would it be better to buy a new one? Cheapest complete replacement I found was about 600 dollars. Thanks guys!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The left transmission on my cub cadet 17ae2acg010 rzt 42 just went out today. Stopped moving at all and sounds horrible when you try. My question is whether or not it is worth trying to rebuild considering I have never opened one up, or would it be better to buy a new one? Cheapest complete replacement I found was about 600 dollars. Thanks guys!

Lots of members have had issues with their trans, you should be able to find your answers here, but you need to supply the model numbers and info found ON the trans unit itself,.. so they can find the correct info. From what I've read here it's not that big of a deal if you have mechanical ability !

solefate

Threads
Lots of members have had issues with their trans, you should be able to find your answers here, but you need to supply the model numbers and info found ON the trans unit itself,.. so they can find the correct info. From what I've read here it's not that big of a deal if you have mechanical ability !

Okay I guess I will go ahead and yank the thing off and get some numbers then! Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have to disagree with you Boo, but unless you have an above average ability and a good parts breakdown and service manual, I wouldn't even attempt a rebuild. If you attempt to rebuild and then find you're in over your head, you'll end up purchasing a replacement. You're out a lot of time, costs of parts purchased and downtime on the unit. Plus, if it doesn't last, you're back to square one. Read my signature.

solefate

Threads
Have to disagree with you Boo, but unless you have an above average ability and a good parts breakdown and service manual, I wouldn't even attempt a rebuild. If you attempt to rebuild and then find you're in over your head, you'll end up purchasing a replacement. You're out a lot of time, costs of parts purchased and downtime on the unit. Plus, if it doesn't last, you're back to square one. Read my signature.

Well someone be my tie-breaker. I have dabbled with four wheeler tranny's, though looking at the parts diagram these seem to be a little more complicated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry Boo, I have too disagree with you. Odds of solving problem without a major expense are not in your factor. On top of that unless your ability is above average and you have the proper service manual, the odds go down even more. Most times when we are asked to rebuild, we find parts cost more than labor. Better than 90% of the time we replace instead of rebuild. What are you going to do if you get in over your head? Read my signature.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hydrostat trannys require clean working conditions for a good repair. Also unless you determine the cause of the first failure, then the failure on the repaired unit will come quickly. And the failure may not be related to the tranny, it may be just the result. Meaning if your are pulling too much weight, or driving up and down hills that the unit is not designed for it will failure shortly after repair.

solefate

Threads
Well I would like to think I haven't done anything out of the ordinary with it besides run over too many sticks lol. It's looking like replace is the way to go. If I have my local shop rebuild it, it will probably cost the same as me putting on a brand new one so.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I would like to think I haven't done anything out of the ordinary with it besides run over too many sticks lol. It's looking like replace is the way to go. If I have my local shop rebuild it, it will probably cost the same as me putting on a brand new one so.

Well it looks like a replacement unit is the way to go, I was not trying to mis-lead you, only trying to help, sorry if I dashed your hopes of an easy fix, these guys know more about these types of trans than I do , hoping everything works out well for you, please keep us up-dated the info helps other members with the same issue ..Boobala ..:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW have done 3 hydros to date and all have been successful.
The cost to the customer was almost the same as the retail price of a replacement tranny so they ended up saving about $ 200 but only have my warranty on my repair.
If they went with a new unit then they get 1 or 2 year warranty.
I did them because I have never done one before or in the case of the Murray because the tranny is no longer available.
I do them in the bathroom of the house that I work out of after wetting the walls & floor with a hand shower then wear a pair of painters disposable coveralls with hood and also wear long nitrile gloves.

There are a lot of videos of people pulling them down on their garage floors and they always seem to be successful, but what you don't get shown in the units fail 2 years latter.
There was even one video where the "mechanic" was rabbiting on about keeping stuff clean & he had fingernails with enough dirt under them to grow potatoes.

The ones I did were power washed then soda blasted before I split them to get rid of all of the corrosion on the outside.
A very small amount of dust will kill then quick smart.
They are really not meant to be fixed.
The motor pump units for the T40 I have just replaced was $ 680 and there is 6 hours in doing the job = $ 1040 + freight
The complete unit was $ 1100 + $ 120 for fitting.
If I could get a unit from www.mulliganspartscompany.com it would have been cheaper to replace the box as a unit.