Front Wheel issue on 2 mo. old ZT HD 52

jasilby

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just noticed that my front left (if you are sitting on mower) tire is hitting the bracket/frame when turned around towards the mower. I think the bearings have gone out? I just bought this machine and was very happy with it, but really disappointed that I have an issue in only 2 months of use. I mow a 2.5 acre area and it does have some ruts, etc. but that's why I chose the HD. To make matters worse, my local dealer who I purchased from just told me there's a 2 1/2 week delay for service. Anybody else ever run into this front wheel issue and how hard is is to replace the bearings on your own? Would I be causing more trouble for myself if I fix and then have a bigger issue later that won't be covered under warranty?
IMG_20170725_131547.jpgIMG_20170725_131531.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Step back a few paces then eyeball the two casters to see if they are both the same or the bad one is twisted back.
If the bearing is gone you can wiggle the shaft back & forth once the wheel is off the ground .
Rarely does this happen with a new mower.
However under the cap is a big nut which does come loose and that will be evident by being able to move the caster up and down.
The cap is SOB to get off however it is just a light press fit ( that is hydarulic press ) so some work with a big blades screwdriver and a mallet usually will pop it off
With customers mowers , I file a slot across the top so next time there is an easy place to put a punch

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do not normally chime in when someone else has answered correctly.

If you look at it you will see that it is bent not broken. You will need a replacement caster arm. I would have to say you must have hit something really hard to bend that peice of metal where you bent it at.

jasilby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Bertsmobile1. I will go try that this morning. I was able to lift the front end up and the wheel seems to be very loose. I should have thought about checking to see if the bolt had become loose. I have a lot of ruts and bumps in my yard and I am wondering if it's just come loose? I am not sure it's bent? I will also check this closer, but I think the amount of play leads me to think I need to start with the main bolt. Thanks again.

jasilby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Step back a few paces then eyeball the two casters to see if they are both the same or the bad one is twisted back.
If the bearing is gone you can wiggle the shaft back & forth once the wheel is off the ground .
Rarely does this happen with a new mower.
However under the cap is a big nut which does come loose and that will be evident by being able to move the caster up and down.
The cap is SOB to get off however it is just a light press fit ( that is hydarulic press ) so some work with a big blades screwdriver and a mallet usually will pop it off
With customers mowers , I file a slot across the top so next time there is an easy place to put a punch

Turns out this is a situation with mowers built during the time I bought mine. It's apparently a bad weld on the bottom of the fork where it attaches to the bolt that holds it in the shaft. Gravely is probably going to do a recall/fix bulletin soon. I spot welded it for the time being and will put in for 2 new sets of forks. Just wanted to post what the conclusion was.

tbzep

Threads
Turns out this is a situation with mowers built during the time I bought mine. It's apparently a bad weld on the bottom of the fork where it attaches to the bolt that holds it in the shaft. Gravely is probably going to do a recall/fix bulletin soon. I spot welded it for the time being and will put in for 2 new sets of forks. Just wanted to post what the conclusion was.
Good to know. My yard's pretty rough and bounces me around pretty good even at moderate speeds in some areas so I will keep an eye on it.

wmixon

Forum Newbie
Threads
how do you find the build date on 2017 zt hd 52