how to get a replacement mower

pollishpickle

Threads
Well here is an update It still is at the dealer and there now has more hours on it and the key is hanging on the wall. They think they can fix the problem by drilling and moving the safety switch but they still don't know why the linkages still freeze up when is hot. Another band aid fix not getting to the problem. I lost all respect for MTD as they will not step up and say there is a problem. It's a PIA to try to mow and keep it running. I wish someone from MTD would read this as I called them and get the run around or they just hang up on me. They want me to take it to a different dealer each time but the only dealer that is authorised to get a recall is the selling dealer.

pollishpickle

Threads
Does anyone know the procedure for a warranty return. I am not sure if I will get anywhere yet but would like to have a heads up as what to expect. The Last I had heard was they were confident that the fix would work but I questioned them about the safety aspect and got a phone call yesterday that I missed. Rob left a message that he had to get in touch with Alan the owner of the place I bought it from and would call me today. today has come and gone now and no word one way or the other. Right now it is raining and my grass needs cutting and my mower is in limbo. I guess my wife and I will end up push mowing the 3 acres but I am not looking forward to that as I am almost 70 years old.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
First, hire someone to mow the yard while you are mowerless. Push mowing that much at that age is asking for it.

Second, you'll never be happy with this mower. Go get another mower such as a Gravely, Hustler, Scag, Ferris, etc. and sell this one. You'll take some lumps but it's the easiest, fastest, least stressful way out.

pollishpickle

Threads
I will see if I can barrow the neighbors mower. As for buying a new mower I need the money from the Tank to do that so I have to wait. I may contact the head of Exmark trade show department and see what he can do for me as I built the Exmark trade show display and we get along pretty good.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dealers will accept trades. That would be even faster than selling yours privately. You'll take a bigger hit but you can put this problem behind you in a matter of day(s).

You have my sympathy but you'll forget the money it will cost you trade mowers faster than you'll forget this horrible episode with this machine and the dealer.

pollishpickle

Threads
Dealers will accept trades. That would be even faster than selling yours privately. You'll take a bigger hit but you can put this problem behind you in a matter of day(s).

You have my sympathy but you'll forget the money it will cost you trade mowers faster than you'll forget this horrible episode with this machine and the dealer.

Before I took it back for the 5th time I tried to trade it in and I would be taking a $5000 hit on it and then the new mower be another $6000 for a similar mower as the I bought this one at the end of the season. So a $8000 mower would end up costing me $11000

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I certainly wouldn't trade it at the dealership you're dealing with now.

pollishpickle

Threads
I certainly wouldn't trade it at the dealership you're dealing with now.

I may take that advice. Will you loan me the extra money that it would take? My problem is the mower is still under warranty and I don't think I should spend more money for something that is out of my control. Also the mower is at the dealer either to be repaired of replaced and in order to get it back I would have to pay for service that was not done

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tell you what, if I win the Powerball Saturday night, I'd be glad to loan you the money. 21 percent interest, of course.

If you go trade it off, chances are the mower you choose will have financing available. Probably much better terms than the Bank of cpurvis, too.

pollishpickle

Threads
I received a call from MTD they finally agreed that they were just covering up the problem and they have no fix other than keep throwing parts until something sticks. They said that the dealer would give me a trade in but when i questioned the MTD guy I asked him what I could get for the measly amount he offered before. I also told him that the dealer did not have a unit that I would take as this unit was a commercial one and all the ones left that he has are the same as what Home Depot sell. I don't see why I should give up a $8000 mower and be stuck with something that is less than half what I paid for. The MTD guy that had told me earlier when I asked to speak with his boss said he was the boss now he said he has to talk to his boss about what to do.