Tractor won't start

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Excellent.
Check again with the ignition in the start position, result should be the same

Then do the same tests, brake on /brake off & Blades on / Blades off.
Then repeat the above with some one sitting in the seat.
What you should see is continuity when ,
brake off & seat empty - O & S
blades off and seat empty - O only
blades on seat occupied - S only
All other combinations should be infinity as they are normal run or start conditions.

Kinker

Threads
bertsmobile1, thank you for your help. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply; I had other pressing issues I had to take care of.

Below are the readings in the attached thumbnails.

When I was not sitting on the seat, blades off, brake on, the engine did start but died
shortly thereafter. I've included a picture of my fuel filter. Does this seem like there is no
gas being pumped to carb? I've already replaced the fuel pump.

Attachments

• 20170802_140303.jpg
    20170802_140303.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 4
  • tractor readings.jpg
    tractor readings.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From those it looks like the PTO switch is giving you grief.
Pull it out soak with WD 40 work the switch to clean up the contacts the repeat the two tests when you got numbers
The line should be either infinity or 0 nothing in between

AS for the fuel filter, the outlet is a tube inside the paper element so air gets trapped in the filter.
If it worries you hook it up backwards, filter works exactly the same way in both directions but when backwards you can not see the crud because it is inside the paper.

Kinker

Threads
I went ahead and replaced the PTO switch ($10). Got correct readings. Tractor started, carb hunted, and then tractor shut off. Any other ideas?
Thank you for all of your help, Bertsmobile1.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well we are making progress it now starts.

Hunting is usually due to lack of fuel.

What we need is an exact description of what happens when you try to start it.
Did it stall out after you changed something or just fire up then die out ?

Kinker

Threads
IT started, hunted and then died. Took about 10 seconds.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is classic blocked main jet.
Mower starts on the idle circuit then as it picks up speed it flips over to the main jet.
A defective fuel solenoid can present the same symptoms.

Kinker

Threads
There's no fuel shut-off solenoid on the carb. First rebuilt/cleaned carb and then replaced carb with a new one. Saw no change. Should I clean the new carb? Replace gas cap? Crack in gas tank? Thanks again.:smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Trouble when we come in on the tail end of a problem as you have done so much already so have introduced too many potential causes of multiple problems.
Back in your first post you mentioned you replaced the carb & it was hard to start & stalled out.
So we have fixed the electrical problems making it hard to start and you are left with the stalls out problem.
For me I would clean the old carb very carefully then put it back on.
you did not mention where you got the new carb from and if you got it on line cheap there is a better than average chance it was a defective carb.
Everything that the factories reject as being substandard ends up on the internet.
A daily occurence down here.
Pull it down completely and spary carb cleaner through all the holes making sure it comes out of every hole in the carb throat.
Do not do this with the float needle in place as they do not take kindly to carb cleaners.
Blow dry and rebuild.

Hopefully we will get there before the lions & tigers hiding in the tall grass get you.

Kinker

Threads
Cleaned all the orifices in the old carb with wire and carb cleaner. Sprayed dry and installed back on the tractor. Tractor won't even turn over.

I bought the new carb at a stand alone mower shop.

Mowing with a small hand mower reeks!

Again, I appreciate all your help.