Engine MTD Yard Machine Mower Cold Starting

Neal11

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Yard Machine / MTD 6.0 HP, 21-inch walk behind. Model number is 11A-439G129. The only way I can get the mower to start is to remove the spark plug, and put raw gas into the cylinder. Priming doesn't help. After putting gas in the cylinder, it will start with a regular pull, and the mower runs fine. Once the engine is hot, I'm able to start it with the regular pull. I have removed / inspected / cleaned the primer bulb and the channel from the bulb to the carb intake, and both are working. I'm assuming this isn't a fuel supply issue, or the mower wouldn't run, or at least it wouldn't run well. Any guidance?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
With the air cleaner removed, push the primer and look for fuel being shot into the carb. the carbs with the square air filter, use air to push fuel into the carb, that air filter rear cover will warp and not allow the air to be forced into the carb to push the fuel up the emulsion tube.

Neal11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your help. It appears a complete cleaning of the carb was needed. I'm still having some trouble, but I think to current problem is control cable related. After priming, I have to manually push the lever at the end of the blade control cable. I suspect replacing the cable will fix this problem.

Threads
I just saw this thread and I was thinking that the gasket on the air box was bad. That happens a lot. Sometimes when the air box / Filter box gets warped you need to put a extra gasket.

Now you have a bail cable that is not traveling the full length. Soak the cable inside of it with some PB Blaster or Liquid wrench. Or just take some pliers and tweak the bracket that holds the cable towards the rear of the mower. Hope this helps Mon Ami ~!~!