engine seized on HR215

mahaffeymj

Threads
Bought used HR215SXA (MZAM-6209265) whereby engine had seized up, I assume from lack of oil. Guy gave it to me cheap so thought I would try to unfreeze it. The recoil starter will not budge an inch. Looked in good shape besides that minor:laughing: issue. Looking on google/ebay appears most recommend draining oil and putting fair amount of penetrating oil in spark plug hole and letting it sit a fair time. Wondering what the knowledgeable people on this forum recommend for such a problem and what type of penetrating oil they recommend if that is what they use. Any thought or help would be appreciated. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bought used HR215SXA (MZAM-6209265) whereby engine had seized up, I assume from lack of oil. Guy gave it to me cheap so thought I would try to unfreeze it. The recoil starter will not budge an inch. Looked in good shape besides that minor:laughing: issue. Looking on google/ebay appears most recommend draining oil and putting fair amount of penetrating oil in spark plug hole and letting it sit a fair time. Wondering what the knowledgeable people on this forum recommend for such a problem and what type of penetrating oil they recommend if that is what they use. Any thought or help would be appreciated. Thanks

If it is seized you will have to dissasemble the engine so get strait into it.
Don't bother faffing around trying to unseize the engine as it could be a ring problem or a bearing problem.
If the rings end up stuck in the bore it will need a rebore ( not sure if Honda does oversize pistons ) or at best a hone for the new rings.
If the top or bottom bush is welded to the crank, the crank will need polishing and the crankcase bushing or replacing depending upon which is gone.

In any case the chance of you loosening it and having a good mower without the need to replace things is quite remote .
You might get real lucky and find it is actually a starter problem, then you might also win the lottery without a ticket too.

mahaffeymj

Threads
If it is seized you will have to dissasemble the engine so get strait into it.
Don't bother faffing around trying to unseize the engine as it could be a ring problem or a bearing problem.
If the rings end up stuck in the bore it will need a rebore ( not sure if Honda does oversize pistons ) or at best a hone for the new rings.
If the top or bottom bush is welded to the crank, the crank will need polishing and the crankcase bushing or replacing depending upon which is gone.

In any case the chance of you loosening it and having a good mower without the need to replace things is quite remote .
You might get real lucky and find it is actually a starter problem, then you might also win the lottery without a ticket too.

Thanks for info. checked starter and not it. could there be anything wrong with the clutch that would prevent the shaft moving? and have a gud da, mate. :laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for info. checked starter and not it. could there be anything wrong with the clutch that would prevent the shaft moving? and have a gud da, mate. :laughing:

AFAIK the only brake Honda use on domestic mowers is a rubber block that presses against the flywheel and even that will not stop the shaft from turning, just slow it down.
Bite the bullet and get the wrenches out.

deckeda

Threads
Went through this a month ago. Was heartened after seeing a video online where a guy rescued his Honda by re-filling with oil and patiently turned the top of flywheel with a socket/ratchet/breaker bar (fuel off, spark plug out). Eventually it freed up because he was forcing it to become lubricated.

Tried it on one of mine and it worked! For about 50ft, until the connecting rod or crank broke. Now the pull rope pulls super easy, since nothing's connnected inside!

So yeah it might work, but for how long?

mahaffeymj

Threads
Went through this a month ago. Was heartened after seeing a video online where a guy rescued his Honda by re-filling with oil and patiently turned the top of flywheel with a socket/ratchet/breaker bar (fuel off, spark plug out). Eventually it freed up because he was forcing it to become lubricated.

Tried it on one of mine and it worked! For about 50ft, until the connecting rod or crank broke. Now the pull rope pulls super easy, since nothing's connnected inside!

So yeah it might work, but for how long?

well that may have required a cool beverage after that experience. no good.
to try and repair the engine would more than likely be beyond my skill-set, but this winter I may attempt it when its not a 100 degrees plus in the garage. i am really showing my *** here, but i do not see the engine model # anywhere to see what the parts may set me back. see the engine serial # (GJAB-6598317) and the lawn mower serial # (MXAM-6209265), but no joy on the 4 digit engine model #. can someone give me a clue. googling says near the engine serial # , but unless it is worn off, I do not see it.
TIA

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
well that may have required a cool beverage after that experience. no good.
to try and repair the engine would more than likely be beyond my skill-set, but this winter I may attempt it when its not a 100 degrees plus in the garage. i am really showing my *** here, but i do not see the engine model # anywhere to see what the parts may set me back. see the engine serial # (GJAB-6598317) and the lawn mower serial # (MXAM-6209265), but no joy on the 4 digit engine model #. can someone give me a clue. googling says near the engine serial # , but unless it is worn off, I do not see it.
TIA

Master's frame serial numbers are MZAM-

Always use the frame serial number to do a parts lookup. You can miss items using the engine S/N.

MZAM-6209265 is showing up fine in Honda's database. Sold new to Dennis G. of Deinnison, TX on 9/20/1995. No open recalls, bulletins or active campaigns.

mahaffeymj

Threads
Master's frame serial numbers are MZAM-

Always use the frame serial number to do a parts lookup. You can miss items using the engine S/N.

MZAM-6209265 is showing up fine in Honda's database. Sold new to Dennis G. of Deinnison, TX on 9/20/1995. No open recalls, bulletins or active campaigns.

thank you so much, sir. you're right. is MZAM. dark out there.