Noma/Murray won't turn right, skipping over gear

mstar

Threads
Noma/Murray A4012-110(12 HP Briggs and Stratton 4 wheel steer is not turning right. It got harder to make sharp turns either left or right. One day I put more fixed and the wheel jumped the teeth so the steering wheel was upside down . I forced back but it was never the same.
Wheel but pointing perfect straight.

I can turn right slightly but then the wheel clicks past the steering gear.

Is there a process to Align and fix?

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_140720.jpg
    IMG_20170723_140720.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20170723_164753.jpg
    IMG_20170723_164753.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20170723_165854.jpg
    IMG_20170723_165854.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20170723_170431.jpg
    IMG_20170723_170431.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20170723_170445.jpg
    IMG_20170723_170445.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 4

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your steering gear is jumping over the sector gear, I would be checking this gears and the bushings. I'm will to bet one or all are bad.

mstar

Threads
Thanks
What should I be looking for and how do you replace? That is, what makes sure it is in the proper place? I dont know much about it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look to see if the teeth on the gears are worn and if you have side to side play on the shaft. Trying to explain how to replace these parts is not something I can do on this forum. Every manufacturer does it a little different on set up. There are no service manuals for these units, so you will have to look at your parts diagram and the unit to see how to disassemble. I can tell you that you will have to more than likely remove the steering wheel and raise the steering shaft.

mstar

Threads
Thanks,
I did included a parts diagram but it is not high on detail so I dont know what is involved in changing those parts so would like a general idea if they are pressed on or just pull off?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sir, the parts diagram you included is a very good one, if you have the mechanical experience to do this job. You will look closely the sector gear is bolted to the frame with bushings. Steering gear is pinned to the steering shaft. Bearing is mounted at the end of the steering shaft. If you can't understand what I am saying, please do not attempt this repair.

mstar

Threads
I have mechanic experience on autos. I am trying to learn what is involved as that diagram is detailed but not detailed resolution wise if you never saw the parts before.
Many parts can be hard to find on this model.

Just because you are familiar with the parts and it seems obvious to you, does not mean every who is not familiar can't handle the job. You don't start out knowing everything and sometimes you learn on the go. Pros sharing there knowledge helps the learning curve and helps avoid common mistakes.

Changing parts is one thing How it relates to the turn geometry is another and I was also asking about that.

I was having a hard time turning the wheel probably due to the inside of the tires rubbing. On the tractor when turning.
The caused me to turn hard and I guess I made it jump which put it out of alignment making it harder to turn.
I am not sure how the 4 wheel steering relates to putting it back together with new parts. I am sure it complicated things. I am sure the tires are rubbing for some other reason.
I had replaced the plastic bushings and there seems to be more wiggle that the tip over enough to rub. I had also picked up a used set of front tires that are listed as same size from a John Deere and I had a shop swap the wheels. The tire seemed to bulge out more than the original with same specs.

I probably should have looked into this sooner as now it is multiple issues.

BTW, that pin on the steering if fused in I will have to drill it out .
So before I started fighting things I am trying to figure out what is involved and the procedures to makes sure the problem is fixed properly.

Thanks

mstar

Threads
I guess the attached image I found in my manual should have suggested first.
I am confused on the arrows pointing to mounting screws but the directions stating to loosen the lower bearing. re they saying to loosen those as well?
IMG_20170724_111006.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well I had never worked on one of these either till mid last year and I did not have the luxury of an exploded parts listing.
If it is too small, scan it into your computer and print it out larger.
If it is still confusing draw over the lines with coloured pencils to make it clearer.
They were very expensive mowers, down here about the same price as a family sized 6 cylinder car so not a lot of them around.
A fairly simple operation but a lot of bits that could be giving you grief from worn out bush through to a bent tie rod or loose tie rod end.
We are here , you are there and you have the real thing in front of you.
There is a dozen or more bits that can be causing your steering problems and the biggest one is it is an obsolete mower so there is a very limited supply of spares.
I spent around 3 months working on that mower as I had to make all of the NLA bushes.

I do a lot of mowers so some time I get a bit fuzzy but from memory we took the rear body work off of that one to get better access.
And of course, don't forget to take lots & lots of photos.
Expect every pin to be rusted in solid, all of mine were and to add to that there were some dodgy welds including over the top of one of the roll pins.
A real PIA job, but the owner is a really nice bloke and under treatment for Hep C so was very ill at the time + had not worked for 3 years so had no money either.

mstar

Threads
That is interesting. They were pretty low cost up here in NJ sold through AGWAY farm supply, and the mower repair place had an older guy who would keep telling me it was not made to last that long.

Seeing that allot has never been touched as far as maintenance, the steering has never been adjusted and maybe I will get lucky it just needs to be tightened,

But again, I ask, what is the process to put things right? I am assume both front and back wheels should turned straight. On one post for a different machine , someone was advising to make sure there was an even amount of teeth on each side of something.
What are the signs the bearing is worn? What should I be looking for? There is a play in that steering error and I was not sure what was normal. Advice like that is helpful. Thanks

Well I had never worked on one of these either till mid last year and I did not have the luxury of an exploded parts listing.

They were very expensive mowers, down here about the same price as a family sized 6 cylinder car so not a lot of them around.