Noma/Murray won't turn right, skipping over gear

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The pins 51 & 45 will both be roll pins and you will not be able to drill them out they have to be punched or pressed.
I use cheap pin punches m machined down to the size of the hole in the middle and the outer diameter then a G clamp to press them out.
Your skipping is because the gear on the shaft shown in the last image is not meshing properly with the fan gear part # 47 and usually it is because the bearing at the bottom of the shaft has worn allowing the gear to move just enough so that the teeth skip.
When you have it off generally there is a hole that had nothing in it.
That is the index hole and it will align with another hole when the gear is directly ahead.
This is a good mower as all of the drag linkages have adjustable tie rod ends so you set the fan gear to strait, set the steering wheel to strait, engage them then adjust the drag links to give you the correct toe in and the rear wheels to be strait ahead.
If the tie rod ends are really loose they might need replacing but luckily they are standard engineering parts available from engineering supply shops & most farm shops.

Grab the fan gear, if you can move it back & forth then it's pivot hole is flogged out oval or the pivot pin # 49 is worn oval & it will need to be repaired.

The steering gears are awkward to get at so no one ever lubes them thus they wear.
The one I did was branded Husqvarna so had a different bady and a stronger front end but the rest was the same .

mstar

Threads
This is helpful for diagnosis. Why would it turn left, center and only a slight turn to the right? If it was worn wouldn't both directions skip?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Strait physics.
because there is a single rod connecting the fan gear to the wheels, the fan gear pushes it to turn one way and pulls it to turn the other way
So one direction the gears get forced together and the other direction they get pulled apart

mstar

Threads
Update
So for the most part it was that an adjustment was needed as the teeth were barley meshing. I loosened the two nuts from underneath on the lower bearing and pushed it tight to the fan gears as instructed..
I do have up and down play if I push on the bottom of the shaft. How much play is too much. It lifts the plastic upper bearing (42 on diagram) out of the frame hole and the corrosion seems to hold it up there.

I tried to make all wheels and steering wheel straight but something is still off. At first the back wheels to the right still would not turn even when the front wheels were turned all the way.
IT would turn to the right and theback wheel turned a little.For some reason I kept going in circles a few times in one direction then the other and then the real wheels started to turn on both sides.
It does steer much easier but there still is tension that I am not sure is normal, since it not power steering or if there is still an issue.

What happens is that small movements the wheel has easy in either direction But if going to make a sharp turn more effort is needed but something strange is happening. If I turn right tight it works but if I go to turn a hard left, it takes a little extra strength to get it to fully turn. Then after if has gone that hard left, it seems to stay easier to turn into that hard left but if I now switch to a hard right, there is a point the front wheels are turned but takes an extra push of strength to get something to switch over to get that back wheel to fully turn.

I wonder how the back wheels could have not turned and then just started turning even though I did not touch the back end. If something is loosening up, then I wonder if there is a way to get them moving smoother.

The steering wheel has a little left to right play. I did see the fan gear is moving when this is happening but not enough to make the wheels do much.
I would like to know how much up and down play that bearing normally has?
I am betting it is still out of alignment.

Someone mentioned the tire rods. I had wondered about how one tells if they are overly worn, They are wobbly in that I can wiggle the rod and there is play.

mstar

Threads
This is a vid of the steering before I adjusted the bearing tighter to the fan gear. The up an down play is still the same and I don't know what is normal. It is no longer skipping out over the fan gear.
https://youtu.be/Yi_K71TnR14

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Update
So for the most part it was that an adjustment was needed as the teeth were barley meshing. I loosened the two nuts from underneath on the lower bearing and pushed it tight to the fan gears as instructed..
I do have up and down play if I push on the bottom of the shaft. How much play is too much. It lifts the plastic upper bearing (42 on diagram) out of the frame hole and the corrosion seems to hold it up there.

I tried to make all wheels and steering wheel straight but something is still off. At first the back wheels to the right still would not turn even when the front wheels were turned all the way.
IT would turn to the right and theback wheel turned a little.For some reason I kept going in circles a few times in one direction then the other and then the real wheels started to turn on both sides.
It does steer much easier but there still is tension that I am not sure is normal, since it not power steering or if there is still an issue.

What happens is that small movements the wheel has easy in either direction But if going to make a sharp turn more effort is needed but something strange is happening. If I turn right tight it works but if I go to turn a hard left, it takes a little extra strength to get it to fully turn. Then after if has gone that hard left, it seems to stay easier to turn into that hard left but if I now switch to a hard right, there is a point the front wheels are turned but takes an extra push of strength to get something to switch over to get that back wheel to fully turn.

I wonder how the back wheels could have not turned and then just started turning even though I did not touch the back end. If something is loosening up, then I wonder if there is a way to get them moving smoother.

The steering wheel has a little left to right play. I did see the fan gear is moving when this is happening but not enough to make the wheels do much.
I would like to know how much up and down play that bearing normally has?
I am betting it is still out of alignment.

Someone mentioned the tire rods. I had wondered about how one tells if they are overly worn, They are wobbly in that I can wiggle the rod and there is play.

Before you shifted the steering gear did you centralise the fan gear by turning the front wheels strait ?
Remember it has skipped a few teeth so will be in the wrong position.

mstar

Threads
Yes,
I counted teeth on each side and it seemed to be the same