Honda HR173 ?

Baron von Rollup

Forum Newbie
Threads
Interesting. Im from the Uk and looking at a second hand HR173 reported to be 8 years old and it has a roller at the rear for lawn striping.
It would seem that as with most things UK spec isnt US spec.

retrotechy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone tell me abit about a the Honda HR173 mower?
What engine is on it?
Is it any good or just a toy?
Thanks

Hi,

I have just joined this forum and saw your query.

I have owned one of these mowers from new for 24 years and it has provided such excellent service with minimum servicing, I can't praise it enough!. My UK model has a rear roller, which is great for a stripey look.:smile: It has never failed to start by the 3rd pull of the rope and I have no intentions of replacing it unless it dies irreparably!

I would recommend a good condition 2nd hand HR173 mower to anyone.

Regards

Threads
I own and am selling this great mower, my wife bought it new in 1987. Came to this forum in order to see what others had to say about it.

Have always changed the oil annually and kept blad balanced and sharpened. Cleaned air filter and gave it a new plug once in a while, always ran gas out at season end. Starts on 1st pull every spring, polycarbonate (I believe) base never rusts or breaks, hardly scratches.

Bought a new Honda HRX217 in 2012 to accommodate larger yard in new house. The HRX217 works well but Honda has gone on the cheap with it's current lineup. e.g. the motorcycle quality cables with precision adjusters on the HR173 have been replaced with plastic bolt ons, the older ones clips were brazed onto the chrome steel handle. The chrome handle has been replaced with black paint. Not that any of these differences materially impact the mowers new performance but my HR173 runs and looks nearly new after 26 years ! That said the HR173 cost $359 26 years ago, try adjusting that for inflation and see why they had to cut corners.

Enough time wasted but I just needed to set the record straight on older Honda mowers vs. what they are selling today.

stevepaa

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have one since 1985. superb machine. I finally had to replace the engagement cable this year as it had seized. The mower has always been stored out doors in San Jose. I clean out the carb with carb cleaner at the start of the seasons now, and it runs perfectly. However, the float mechanism in the carb finally would not seal and the engine floofed yesterday. I'll get a new carb and keep on mowing.

If you can get one of these, do it. The local lawnmower repair shop says this was one of the best made.

jp1961

Threads
Did the GV100 engine have a cast iron cylinder liner?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did the GV100 engine have a cast iron cylinder liner?

I believe it did. I'll ask some of the engineers and um, "senior" staff who may know. :tongue:

What am I saying? I've been here almost 24 years...I am Senior Staff.

jp1961

Threads
Sweet looking at one tonight,,,maybe I'll convert over from Lawnboys,,,lol

Tidybushgardener

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone tell me if the engine from a 173 bolts straight on the deck from the older hr 17, recently purchased (for pennies) an old hr17 cause I thought it looked cool. But after hours of tinkering it just won't start.