Run Kohler Engine without govenor

diymarketing

Forum Newbie
Threads
While re-installing the cover plate I just cracked the govenor on my Kubota ZG23. It has a Kohler 23 hp engine (build date 9/2005), looks similar to the Kohler Command engines but must be proprietary to Kubota as I cannot find the model # on the Kohler site. The govenor is cracked and not salvagable.

Anyone know if the the engine will run and be managable without the govenor? It is weighted geared plastic item that is driven by flywheel inside the cover plate. FWIW, I was replacing oil sea to try and stop a pretty good size oil leak that appraeared to be coming from the oil seal or the RTV gasket had failed. TIA

Paul

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How about posting that Kohler model number so we can see what we can find. Maybe you are using the incorrect numbers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While the engine spec might be unique to Kubota, it will only be a few bibs & bobs like the way the controls are hooked up the way the wires are arranged in the engine plug or simply the blower housing with Kubota on it.
Internals will all be the same if it is a Command engine
JD for instance also have unique engine numbers and their Briggs engines have a better crank ( same as horizontal engine ) and a thrust washer / wear plate under the crank.
Everything else is plain old intek apart from the blower housing which has a JD sticker on it & holes for the mounting bolts against the normal slots.

Bleach

Threads
I ran my Kohler Command with out the governor working for a while. I had to watch the engine speed so that it wouldn't destroy itself. I also had to frequently adjust the speed for the varying conditions of my yard. It would lug or speed up otherwise. I didn't like running it like that.