If you want something done right.... Troy Bilt 26J Mini Rider 30 " no go

basshole

Threads
  • / If you want something done right.... Troy Bilt 26J Mini Rider 30 " no go
Yesterday I called the 1 800 number found in my Troy-bilt Operator manual, of course I was talking to MTD, anyways, I was sent to the Level II Tech. He said he would send out the service manual I needed. What I received was the Cub Cadet Professional Shop Manual for the 2000 Series Tractors. (2011 Model year and Newer). This manual is not for the rear engine mower that I have. I called the number back, and talked again to another Level II Tech, he said all that he could find was the older Service manual for the "Rider" years 1986-1988. He sent me a copy of that. So getting closer. I started to make a list of rear engine mowers that were similar to the one that I own, and then see if I could obtain a Service/Shop manual from another "Brand". Not for sure how they compare, but this is what I have so far;

Troy-Bilt 26j mini rider
Troy-Bilt neighborhood rider
Troy-Bilt TB30R
Poulan Pro PB301
Sears Model 1000
Sears craftsman 29000
Craftsman RER1000
Cub Cadet CC 114 TA- Minirider

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cant upload them on this forum too big I guess YA have to send me an email address is the only way I can figure to send them ...Boobala

basshole

Threads
I don't think there is one.
However MTD put out a series of books called "The Must Have Guides" which cover most of the legacy models of brands they took over.
They are available as a PDF all over the the place. You are looking for book 2 " RER & Lawn Tractors "
More of a they all work this way type of book rather than fold tab B in slot C but a reasonably astute person such as ourself should have no problems.

As for variable drive systems.
We got the biggest pile of puss masquerading as a mower, the STIGA Compact down here and because they were he absolute cheapest ride on available hundreds were sold to unsuspecting home owners.
The 5Hp engine sits on the deck and drives the blades directly with another pulley to power the transaxle which has a F & R + variable pulleys, 2 of them.
I got one having never seen this arrangement, pulled it apart , could not find anything really wrong except both variable drive pulleys wee sprung in the same direction.
Rebuilding it and it worked.
Dropped it off customer was happy then a month latter, it came back in with the same no drive problem.
Did the same pulled it down worked the pulleys a couple of times then reassembled and took it back.
Customer happy so he put all his idiot mates who also had these junk piles .
Now he was a pensioner so got it fixed for $ 120 ( 2 hours ) as against the actual 10 hours it took to do the job.

Now to cut things short, these kept coming back till eventually some one here posted the "fix" for variable speed pulley systems where the operator changes speeds with the engine turned off, which causes a total loss of drive as both pulleys spring to the smallest diameter so the belt runs loose.

LMAO, true that on the variable drive systems. Lessons learned on not shifting when engine is not running. So you only charge 20% of your time to fix? I need to bring my mower to you, and drink some of that Coopers Dark Ale! Had a few of those over in Iraq with some of your Diggers. That Ale was delicious, especially when it was 120 degrees outside.

basshole

Threads
Cant upload them on this forum too big I guess YA have to send me an email address is the only way I can figure to send them ...Boobala

Boobala, thanks brother! I followed your instructions in the PM you sent me. Bam! was able to download the service manual for the 770-10579. Getting a nice collection of manuals. May have to give bertsmobile1 some competition on repairs, except I am sure it would take me twice as long to repair 20 hours for the 2 I would charge. :)

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks to me like your a VET !! If so you got brothers here , I served 1966-1970 U.S.A.F , Jet Eng. Mech.
RogerB is Sub Squid U.S.N. If ya get a chance, check out our man-cave thread.. GoTo MTD Forum, look up
( MTD Transaxle Rebuild ) we kinda hijacked a thread ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:thumbsup:

basshole

Threads
Looks to me like your a VET !! If so you got brothers here , I served 1966-1970 U.S.A.F , Jet Eng. Mech.
RogerB is Sub Squid U.S.N. If ya get a chance, check out our man-cave thread.. GoTo MTD Forum, look up
( MTD Transaxle Rebuild ) we kinda hijacked a thread ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:thumbsup:

Thanks for your Service!
Nice on the hijack lol, Yes Sir on the Vet. US Army back in the 80's. Did my time in the Sandbox embedded with the Stryker Brigade Combat Teams 2SCR (Germany) and 4th Stryker (Ft. Lewis) 2006-2010 as a Federal DOD. My mission was to keep the TOC's running. My son is in the Air Force McChord (JBLM) , Daughter was in the Navy (John C. Stennis) Aircraft Carrier.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LMAO, true that on the variable drive systems. Lessons learned on not shifting when engine is not running. So you only charge 20% of your time to fix? I need to bring my mower to you, and drink some of that Coopers Dark Ale! Had a few of those over in Iraq with some of your Diggers. That Ale was delicious, especially when it was 120 degrees outside.

Pale ale thank you , that dark stuff does knock the brain cells around a touch too much when you get a bit older.
We are in the second beer cycle down here.
The big brewerier buy up the small ones then slowly change the formula to one that the least number of people dislike ( to increase volume sales ) so eventually you end up with 4 beers and they all basically taste the same.
Then small brewers come back in with distinctive beers, some of which are really nice but they get taken over by bigger ones who change the formula and the cycle continues.
Coopers is the last brewer that is still Australian owned and being a family company is likely to stay that way.
As for pricing
Pensioners get big discounts.
We were dirt poor when I was a lad so I know what it is like to have nothing and having gone belly up in the GFC I find myself right back where I started from.
Apart from that, If I can get them to call me when a problem just starts it is an easy fix, let go till the thing won't work it becomes a major problem oft causing several secondary ones and a lot of work.
Also most can afford several small bills ( less then $ 200 ) where as one big bill knocks them for a six and they end up paying me $ 20 per pension for the next 12 months or more.
Usually I charge scheduled fees + 1 hour for big jobs and plain scheduled fees for small ones .
Only been doing this for 4 years so what takes the bloke up the road 1/2 hour ( been doing it for 40 years ) takes me a couple & you can't expect the customer to foot the bill for my lack of experience.
All the little things like which end of a spring is the easiest to remove makes a massive difference & that you can only learn with experience.

basshole

Threads
While I am waiting on parts, thought I would post something I did on Fathers' Day.

My son (who mows our lawn) has requested a riding lawn mower. And being the Dad that I am, and since it's Dad's day I decided to go ahead and acquire one. As you can see by his expression, he wasn't as excited on the find as I am. Jeez what is up with these Teenagers now a days? Back when I was his age......

Attachments

• mower1.jpg
    mower1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3
  • mower2.jpg
    mower2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2
  • mower3.jpg
    mower3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2
  • mower4.jpg
    mower4.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2

basshole

Threads
Pale ale thank you , that dark stuff does knock the brain cells around a touch too much when you get a bit older.
We are in the second beer cycle down here.
The big brewerier buy up the small ones then slowly change the formula to one that the least number of people dislike ( to increase volume sales ) so eventually you end up with 4 beers and they all basically taste the same.
Then small brewers come back in with distinctive beers, some of which are really nice but they get taken over by bigger ones who change the formula and the cycle continues.
Coopers is the last brewer that is still Australian owned and being a family company is likely to stay that way.
As for pricing
Pensioners get big discounts.
We were dirt poor when I was a lad so I know what it is like to have nothing and having gone belly up in the GFC I find myself right back where I started from.
Apart from that, If I can get them to call me when a problem just starts it is an easy fix, let go till the thing won't work it becomes a major problem oft causing several secondary ones and a lot of work.
Also most can afford several small bills ( less then $ 200 ) where as one big bill knocks them for a six and they end up paying me $ 20 per pension for the next 12 months or more.
Usually I charge scheduled fees + 1 hour for big jobs and plain scheduled fees for small ones .
Only been doing this for 4 years so what takes the bloke up the road 1/2 hour ( been doing it for 40 years ) takes me a couple & you can't expect the customer to foot the bill for my lack of experience.
All the little things like which end of a spring is the easiest to remove makes a massive difference & that you can only learn with experience.

No Disrespect on calling your troops "Diggers", that is what they called themselves. BAD *** MOFO's they were. Honor to get invited into their clan. If I remember correctly they were Bushmasters? Anyways, they made good times in a bad location. I was over in Iraq that time for 18 months, and got to know them pretty good.

I was just ribbing ya on the pricing. I have "learned myself" that one has to respect folks that have the talents to do certain things. People make it look so easy for example on YOUTUBE. Lack of experience can get ya into a lot of trouble, where many "start overs" happen. Many times, I wished I had not attempted to do something, rather than taking it to the experts to have it done. Life is too short. Anyways, if ya ever cross the pond and wind up in the States, I will buy ya a beer!