Kubota G1800 won't shut off

mrficxit

Threads
Hello all,
I'm a new member to LMF and thank you all in advance for your advice and help. I'm sorry this is such a long post but I want you all to know what I have done, what I think might need to be done, and questions I have. I have read as much as I can on my issue online, read through the various threads on LMF and have even been able to download an electrical schematic. But my problem still persists. :mad:

I have a G1800 riding mower that starts just fine, runs just fine, but won't shut off when I turn the key to the off position. :confused:

Things I have tried:
1. Verified that the engine stop solenoid (ESS) works just fine. Direct connected to battery and it engages just fine and stops the engine.
2. Took loose the two ground wires next to the ESS, cleaned them and reattached.
3. Verified the battery is at full charge.
4. Removed the screen under the instrument panel, found three fuses. The fuse connector was very dirty. I cleaned the contacts thoroughly, replaced the 10, 15, and 20 amp fuses.
5. I have put a test meter on the connector that is right before the ESS and do not get any voltage readings when I turn the key to the off position.

Based upon my research, there are 3 items left to check: the combination box, the ignition switch and fusable links. Here is what I know (realizing there is a LOT I don't know).

Combination box: There are some posts where folks have discussed replacing this item (and it didn't fix their problem, and this part is quite expensive). I don't have any idea how this item could be replaced??? Is there a way to test to see if this "magic" box is working? It was very dirty but I have cleaned it. It is cracked in several places, but I have read that others have also been cracked and they still worked. All the wires seem to be in good shape. If it does turn out to be bad, how would I go about replacing this item?
Ignition Switch:Some have mentioned testing to see if it is sending a signal to the ESS when turned to the off position so the ESS can do it's job. How would I test this switch?
Fusable Links:I don't find any fusable links. Based upon the schematic I have, there is supposed to be one over by the starter. I don't see one but I'm sure it is there. Would this fusable link cause the ESS to not engage? It looks like it is for a starting problem, which is not my problem...but that could be my ignorance.

Are there other things that I have not read about trying that you all would suggest? I am interested in all ideas. I really don't like having to open the hood to manually shut this thing off. I am toying with the idea of adding a stop button, but really don't know how to do this...and it is really not what I want to do, but will if I can't figure this out.

Thanks again in advance for all your help.

Del

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Del... and Welcome to LMF....

Normally when this problem comes up, it is a bad fuse OR a bad connection at the fuse.
I'm sure you checked the fuses after cleaning and replacing.... Right.?
The next most common problem is a bad fuel shut off solenoid. But yours is working...

As you have likely figured out when you cut power with the key switch there is a time delayed 12v applied to the shutoff solenoid, for about 5 seconds or so...
If you have got all the fuses cleaned up and checked... you will need to either work from the key switch to the solenoid OR from the Solenoid to the Key switch....
There can only be 2 fusible links used, neither will cause your problem...
If the key switch is bad, or has a bad connector on one of the wires... it could never apply 12volts so when it is shut off the timer circuit will not start... I'm afraid you are going to have some circuit tracing to do....
Keep posting with what you are coming up with. ...:smile:KennyV

mrficxit

Threads
Thanks for the replies KennyV and Reddragon.

KennyV, I will go back and look at the fuse connections again. I did verify with a meter that the fuses are good but I will look at the connections more closely. I think it is the 15A fuse that routes to the shut off solenoid, but I will check them all.

Unfortunately I'm not very experienced with circuit tracing...but this might be how I get better. Is there a way to test the ignition switch w/o having to buy a new one and just replacing it?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
its actually quite easy once you know where the terminals go....thats the hard part....you'll need a descent grade voltmeter first....do you have?

mrficxit

Threads
reddragon,
I think so. Here is a link to the one I have - Sears: Craftsman 82372 if it will help you give me direction.

Thanks very much for the help.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
some of these have a wiring schematic decal on them...look for that too...well figure this out:smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
.your engine keeps running like you never turned off the key?.....not dieseling.....yes?

It's a Kubota diesel engine...
it uses a fuel shut off solenoid...
When the cut off doesn't close the rack supply it will not stop running...
The shut off just momentarily stops the fuel to the injector pumps... then releases, and allows fuel to the rack, for the next time you crank the engine... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your fuses and the connectors at the wires are good... you need to check the time delay relay that pulses the shut off solenoid... , but those rarely fail, it is usually a bad connection, if not a fuse. :smile:KennyV