Mower deck Trouble with belt adjustment (Model 33114S)

Psychlopath

Threads
After installing a new belt on this series 4 mower, I'm having a tough time getting a proper adjustment for it.

The new belt is a Rotary 675, listed as a replacement for the stock 7022252, double V belt.

When I adjust per the manual, 1" from the idler to the other side of the belt, the blade will spin fine 'till I get into any real grass.

I'm not mowing waist high shrubs, just a week of growth, so it definitely should not be stalling the blade like it is.

I feel like the blade engagement handle being worn could cause some issues, but I think that should still be taken care of with the adjustment.

As far as I can tell, the spring that the blade handle runs through is what really controls the tension when the handle is engaged; thinking that this could be getting weak, I snapped a couple of zip ties on it to compress it a little and there was no change.

Should I just accept that the manual doesn't take into account component wear and adjust tighter? Doing that should get me through this mow, but I'm not sure it's the right long term solution.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found the problem; There was some form of non-stock clamp on the frame and it would slide while I was mowing, throwing adjustment off. When I'd brake and stop to check adjustment, it would slide back into place. Local mower shop has a take off that I'm heading to pick up now. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's stock and what's been fabricobbled and those parts diagrams aren't always 100% clear with their pictures.

Belt tension.jpg