Repairs gx75 stalls when engaging blade...

JDRedneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere GX75 riding mower... It was left in the corner of a garage on a property that I rented....
I went over it to find that it ran good, but had other issues.
After doing a few repairs and finally getting all the belts and guides where I believe they should be, I am not familiar with riding mowers, all seems to work except that when I start to engage the blade the engine stall at about 1/3 travel of the lever.
It was doing this when I first checked it out, so I got a manual and proceeded to hopefully fix it.
Everything seems to be in the right place and running freely. I can not see what could be the problem.
Any suggestions from anybody??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the seat switch.
Sit on the mower start the engine and try to engage the blades
If it cuts out then the seat switch is bad or the wiring to the seat switch is bad.

The owners manual is available for JD direct as a digital download but the service manual will need to be purchased.
Not cheap but worth 3 times what JD ask for it CD is cheaper.

JDRedneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was under the impression that it would not start if the seat button worked.... So when it started without me in the seat, I thought the switch was not working...
If I depress the button when I try to engage the blade then it should work...
I will try that... Thnx...

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seat switch on most mowers 99% has nothing to do with starting. It has to do with moving and mowing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The switched are very simple sliding contact type.
They corrode & also wear away.
If it has been sitting for a long time they can build up a corrosion layer.
So sometimes you can soak them in some thing like WD 40 and work the switch back & forth to clean it.
If the connections are a single plug, fine but if it is single wires make sure you photograph it before you take it apart.
Most of the switches are double switches one side switches 12 V to energise the starter motor, the other side is a ground circuit that stops the engine, which is wht is happening to you.
Mix the wires up and send 12 V to the magneto & you have killed it stone dead.
Most mowers are wired the same.
General wiring diagrams are in a booklet from Briggs & Stratton.
https://www.vanguardengines.com/content/dam/briggsandstratton/na/en_us/Files/FAQs/alternator_replacement.pdf