installing Predator 22hp in 18hp Grasshopper 616

7mmmac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a replacement adapter for the front 4-bolt adaptor on the old 18hp Vanguard to the 3-bolt on the 22hp Predator?

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
No. They make nothing for the predator engine seeing they are Honda knock offs.

7mmmac

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do people do, make their own adaptors

7mmmac

Forum Newbie
Threads
By the way thank you for responding so quickly

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would check to see if the one you have will fit and can be adjusted to work. Most people check to see if it will work before starting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Make a solid template of the bolt holes & PTO shaft hole
Slip this over the old PTO shaft and mark the holes
Remove the old engine, fit the template underneath the engine then check that the new holes will not cut through anything before drilling them.
Drop engine into position loosely do up bolts then work out how the wiring will run and what you will need for control cables.
Remove the choke & throttle controls the wires usually are replaceable so work out what length you will need then either buy some Bowden cable or go to a mower repair shop and ask them to fit some cables to the new length
I charge $ 10 for this, including the wire
Go to an Auto shop & buy some plugs & connectors
Usually I advocate cutting the wires off your old engine as long as possible then use these loose ends to fit a generic plug then cut the plug off the new engine as close to the plug as possible then fit the other end to the engine wires.
Check the connectors first as some will pull out of the plugs once the barbs are depressed and some don't, but if they do it saves you a lot of crimping.
Because I am a belt & braces type of man I slip a short piece of heat shrink down the wires before I crimp the wires then bring it back over the crimp & shrink, thus if my crimp is not as good as it could be the joint remains sound.
IF the wire colours are different I try to use heat shrink of the came colour as the other side of the plug which reduces confusion.
Just be 200% certain that you do not accidentlally hook the solenoid wire up to the magneto because if you do you will be buying another new Preditor engine as you will cook the magneto trigger chip and there are no engine parts available for this engine which is one reason why they are so cheap.