I'm not sure if I broke my spark plug and need help.

TheDogMan

Forum Newbie
Threads
To start off I am very new to repair and maintenance on lawnmowers. I am working for someone and using there lawnmower. The mower is a John Deere 4 Cycle engine and the manual is lost. I changed the oil the other day for the mower with SAE 30 Motor Oil and it did not work. I tried to start it many times but would not stay running for more than 60 seconds. I then realized I did not put enough oil in and filled the oil to the correct amount and tried to start it again a little later. It would not start at all and it sounded like it wasn't sparking but I'm not sure. I later found out I could have easily ruined the spark plug by trying to start it and running it without enough oil. I am unsure of what I should do now. I do not have the tools to test the spark plug to see if it sparks. Help would be greatly appreciated.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds to me like you need a mower repair shop. You can buy a spark tester from most any auto parts store.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To start off I am very new to repair and maintenance on lawnmowers. I am working for someone and using there lawnmower. The mower is a John Deere 4 Cycle engine and the manual is lost. I changed the oil the other day for the mower with SAE 30 Motor Oil and it did not work. I tried to start it many times but would not stay running for more than 60 seconds. I then realized I did not put enough oil in and filled the oil to the correct amount and tried to start it again a little later. It would not start at all and it sounded like it wasn't sparking but I'm not sure. I later found out I could have easily ruined the spark plug by trying to start it and running it without enough oil. I am unsure of what I should do now. I do not have the tools to test the spark plug to see if it sparks. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Owners manual is a free download from JD.
Repair manual is purchase only.

To help you any further we need the full model number of the mower and the number of the engine.
JD do not make engines they get them made others to their slightly higher specification.

Lena01

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for all your posts