Too much oil

Lakeman45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did my first oil change on my Kubota diesel zero turn. Went by the books with new filter and 3.7 quarts of new oil from 1 gallon jug. When through I cranked it and let it run a minute or so and checked for leaks. Thirty minutes or so checked oil on dipstick. Dipstick came out as black as the oil I had just drained out, and approximately 1 inch above full mark on dipstick. It appears that oil was left in the engine somewhere even though I let it drain for over an hour on level surface. I continued to check it, and while the oil wasn't quite as black as the first time, it still didn't look like it had an oil change. Not my first Kubota diesel, so very familiar with the three cylinder Kubota.

Anyone ever run into this?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you're familiar with Kubota diesels, then you know that some of them have two drain plugs? Could yours be one of them?

Instantly black oil after an oil change in a diesel is common, especially if a significant amount of oil got left in the engine.

Lakeman45

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you're familiar with Kubota diesels, then you know that some of them have two drain plugs? Could yours be one of them?

Instantly black oil after an oil change in a diesel is common, especially if a significant amount of oil got left in the engine.

This zero turn has skid plate under oil pan, and only one plug accessible, and operator's manual shows only one plug.

Have been running a G5200H for 31 years with same basic engine, only 16HP. Changed oil at the beginning of every season in it and never had this happen. On G5200 oil on dipstick not quite as clear as when it came out of the jug, but not almost as black as oil drained from engine.

On the zero turn the engine was allowed to drain for over an hour with the oil filler cap removed while I lubricated everything else.

After getting the high mark I let engine idle for five minutes and waited 15 minutes for oil to drain back down. Not quite as high as previous check, but still 1/2" or so above full mark. By measure from markers on 1 gallon (Shell Rotella) oil jug I put 3.5 quarts in it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
FWIW: I measure the oil amount that is drained. I have old plastic gallon milk jug that I have marked in ounces, etc.

And draining oil, you won't get every bit out, as the internals have a coat of oil on them. So you will be overfull going by the specs.

If you have a suction tool, add a hose & draw the necessary excessive amount out.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
This zero turn has skid plate under oil pan, and only one plug accessible, and operator's manual shows only one plug.

Have been running a G5200H for 31 years with same basic engine, only 16HP. Changed oil at the beginning of every season in it and never had this happen. On G5200 oil on dipstick not quite as clear as when it came out of the jug, but not almost as black as oil drained from engine.

On the zero turn the engine was allowed to drain for over an hour with the oil filler cap removed while I lubricated everything else.

After getting the high mark I let engine idle for five minutes and waited 15 minutes for oil to drain back down. Not quite as high as previous check, but still 1/2" or so above full mark. By measure from markers on 1 gallon (Shell Rotella) oil jug I put 3.5 quarts in it.

Don't know what to tell you. Overfull after putting in the specified amount and turning black immediately points to old oil not being removed during the drain.

helomech

Threads
I always put recommended amount of oil. I do not go buy the dipstick. The dipsticks are mass produced stamping, variances are not unusual. If you are sure you got all the oil out, and positive you put the right amount in, I would not worry.

Richief

Forum Newbie
Threads
Old thread i know, but. Does your engine have an oil filter? I didnt see u mention changing one out. If so, it will hold a quantity of dirty oil, and give those results of dirty and over filled.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Old thread i know, but. Does your engine have an oil filter? I didnt see u mention changing one out. If so, it will hold a quantity of dirty oil, and give those results of dirty and over filled.

Second sentence: "Went by the books with new filter and 3.7 quarts of new oil from 1 gallon jug."

Welcome to the forum. :smile: